Default Candles for Dipping Boxes

My question is about he use of candles for dipping boxes. The candles I have are beeswax/paraffin mix which I know is okay but I am curious about fragrances that are used in candles. Not all of them are fragranced but some of them are. Once they have been melted down will it hurt the bees?

Default Re: Candles for Dipping Boxes

you'll need alot of candels. I'de buy bulk paraffin and beeswax, theres something about the correct or adding binders otherwise the wax will weep out of the box on hot days. May want to do some more research.

Any suggestions on where to buy bulk parafin

Michael's craft store (don't use your credit card... they have had a breech...).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I can get up to 30,000 lbs of candles at a cheap price. They just add very little fragrance to it. I have a binder. Was just curious about whether or not the fragrance would hurt the bees.

The issue with fragrance mostly comes down to "how much". Besides when you heat it the heat will drive a lot of it off. If you put it in a tank and heat it to 240 F or so, much of the essential oils will evaporate. If the frangrance is strong, it could cover a lot of the pheromones in the hive. If it's not strong, it probably won't matter that much. I think Dadant has always added some kind of fragrance to their foundation. I'm not sure exactly what it is, and it's not that strong, but it is noticable.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Has anyone had any experience using soy wax? I can get EcoSoya wax as cheap as paraffin and according to their website; "All EcoSoya® soy waxes:
    Are made in the USA with DOMESTICALLY grown crops.
    Are 100% vegetable, made with Pure Soybean oil, GUARANTEED!
    Are all NATURAL and biodegradable.
    Are manufactured meeting FDA standards.
    Are Kosher Certified.
    Are NOT tested on animals.
    Are FREE of palm wax.
    Are FREE of petroleum, paraffin or beeswax products.
    Are FREE of pesticides and herbicides.
    Are FREE of toxic materials.
    Are FREE of Genetically Modified Material.

Dee Lusby used to boil her boxes in Peanut oil. It seemed to work ok, but she went back to paint. Soy wax would probably be better than soy oil and might be better than paraffin.