Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: primer on hive boxes ?

www can back up what you are saying about oil based primer being good. I have seen his hives that he mentioned above and they look mint. Perhaps he will show us a photo????? I really like the way he did his boxes and the look like they were just painted after a season.

We spray paint all of our boxes with a couple of coats of Zinsser 123 and add not topcoat whatsoever. We started doing this about 10 years ago and the paint has stood up very well.

We do the same thing inside our buildings on any walls that are wooden.

My thinking on the Behr all in one. Simple you can be great at one thing but it is a lot harder to be great at two or three things. Besides I can pick up the a primer and top coat cheaper than two gallons of Behr. Not even looking at finding mis tints

Thanks VW, I found a close up picture of one hive which gives a nice view of the paint.

Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I always used alkyd primer, but have not had real good luck, lots of chipping and cracking. Last year i started putting on two coats of boiled linseed oil first, I suspect this will help quite a bit.

The boxes I started with where I used plain shellac as a primer have held up well, but they are shallows and don't stay on the hives all year.

I would not leave primer exposed, it is generally not well protected against UV degradation and requires a top coat to keep it from getting de-polymerized by the UV in sunlight.

Peter

I'm now using a coupe of coats of Decking Oil as a primer. Inside and out. Goes on quick. It really soaks into the wood, especially the end grains where you want protection from moisture.

I'm then top coating with a high gloss clear varnish. For even more water protection. So will see how long they last now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12