Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ontario Blueberry Pollination

Blueberries are a bear attractant. Talk to any of the numerous fly in fishing folks in that area, what happens to the outcamp if you let any garbage accumulate. Bear problems could be the elephant in the room for this gig.
    Solar electric fences work well. They have been doing that in Maine for years.

FYI

Northern Ontario has a lot of small operations but nothing "pollination" for a beekeeper to make money with.... Most farmers here exchange bee yard space for pollination with beekeepers living in more "urban" areas where restrictions (property size) don't allow them to keep bees at home.

Did someone mention bears? Yes we have an insane amount of bears, especially since the spring bear hunt has been cancelled. Last year set a new record, I seen 5 bears in three different areas of our yard at once. Not only do I have a real badass electric fence, I also have a spare fence charger & fuses in the equipment cabin just in case it fails on a civic holiday. It's bad.

Just open the border to bees on comb. We could come help solve some of these problems.

I am curious to know what Pollination Standards other places have for Blueberries, other than NS and NB .
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

I apologize in advance for the dumb American question.
    What is "Northern Ontario"?
    Is it the area north of Pickle Lake latitude?
    Or
    Is it any thing north of Toronto/Lake Huron?

I may be closer to these blueberries than you!!!

Found this maybe it's of interest

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...rio/ao0213.pdf

"What is Northern Ontario?"

I would say north and west of Lake Nippising. I think Algonquin park is considered southern Ontario.

Peter
    Ottawa. ON

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    I am curious to know what Pollination Standards other places have for Blueberries, other than NS and NB .
    Ben, when you say Pollination Standards, what standards are you targeting in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick ?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Blueberry pollination standards. Our standards for Blueberries are >> 4 frames of Brood , 8 frames of Bees , 2 frames of Honey and pollen .
    I was only trying to find out if this was a common standard for the crop or what differences compared to other provinces.

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

What's the time frame your bees going into the Blueberry fields? NS, NB What is the going rate for an 8 framer?
    Do you have a flow to catch afterwards? anyother revenue source ?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

towards the end of May , it is always a wait and see game, sometimes the bloom is early and sometimes it is late.
    I think the average rate is 145.00 for the standard strength, but I imagine it will go up a little bit because of the higher demand from what I am getting from the other commercials I spoke with at the Annual meeting yesterday.
    I will get a flow after blueberries and be just fine Lots of clover and goldenrod . I was thinking of doing Cranberries, but I will have to wait and see for that.

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

The standard is the same in B.C. 8 frames of bees , 4 frames of brood and 1 laying queen. This is a government issued standard. However, the contract for pollination is between 2 parties and the government has nothing to do with it. That being said 4 frames of bees could be contracted out for a lesser price than the "going rate". Those same 4 framers could be contracted out for more than the going rate if the beekeeper was a great negotiator and there was a shortage of bees. I would only caution beekeepers to make sure they provide what they agreed to in the contract.

Jean-Marc

In nova scotia we average 45 lb of honey so the 145 pollination is a must for commercial. ian your honey production is alot higher, we need both to survive
    34 hives, 5 years

Still preaching the Caspian Jean-Marc, it's alright, the stuff works good.

After that loss I had 2 years back due...Well...what ever it was, I can't help but think that what ever the hell happens when bees are in pollination has some kind of negative effect on them. Since I haven't been doing the pollination my bees have been supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. It's just stands to reason that if there are, and there likely will be, negative what evers (mortalities, growers knocking down hives, ect) that you would charge appropriately. Myself, I don't want to do pollination anymore (seems I've been missing my honey producing years) but if some did want my bees for pollination, it'll be $200 a hive up front or they can kiss it.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Quote Originally Posted by marios View Post
    In nova scotia we average 45 lb of honey so the 145 pollination is a must for commercial. ian your honey production is alot higher, we need both to survive
    Well said !
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by chillardbee View Post
    Still preaching the Caspian Jean-Marc, it's alright, the stuff works good.

After that loss I had 2 years back due...Well...what ever it was, I can't help but think that what ever the hell happens when bees are in pollination has some kind of negative effect on them. Since I haven't been doing the pollination my bees have been supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. It's just stands to reason that if there are, and there likely will be, negative what evers (mortalities, growers knocking down hives, ect) that you would charge appropriately. Myself, I don't want to do pollination anymore (seems I've been missing my honey producing years) but if some did want my bees for pollination, it'll be $200 a hive up front or they can kiss it.
    With the package bees @ 169.00 for 1kg NZ bees it is really not all that bad doing pollination if you lost a few . Even @ 145.00 minimum I think it would be a benefit to any commercial beekeeper. Even if you had hive for rent that were ONLY for pollination and not Honey production like Ian had mentioned before .
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    With the package bees @ 169.00 for 1kg NZ bees it is really not all that bad doing pollination if you lost a few . Even @ 145.00 minimum I think it would be a benefit to any commercial beekeeper. Even if you had hive for rent that were ONLY for pollination and not Honey production like Ian had mentioned before .

Well, if your using Australian stock, you will be replacing them sooner then later. They seem to die a lot. I think it's a matter of how many hives you would lose and how often and whether it's sustainable or not.

One could argue that even with an annual 50% loss that you could split the 50% that are alive and move them into the pollination but you've still put the money out for the feed and meds the for all of them the fall before in hope to get them through the winter. I mean, they all should survive, right? and maybe they do...or maybe they don't.

All I'm saying is that ask within your fee the compensation for the crap thats sure to come. pass those expenses on to the grower as a part of your fee.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I suppose that is something a beekeeper would need to discuss with the grower directly , if you have losses from pollinating a crop and you deal with 1 grower only and could identify the cause being from his/her crop (pesticide/fungicide ect ) then it would be an issue you would need to deal with , pollination is a requirement for most beekeepers in order to survive financially .
    Personally I welcome pollination and I am happy to be a part of the process .

But there also could be a contract stating that if your bees are dying from their crop pollination that they are to reimburse you , but then again where would it end ?
    I know pollination is hard on bees , but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to survive.

You do have a valid point though.

Ben
    Nova Scotia Canada

Trucking them around, in itself, is hard on them. All of the vibrations, the bumps... it can knock down eggs, larvae, I'd imagine it can squish a few bees too.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12