Default New hard drive help, please.

The drive in my wife's Dell Vostro 1720 laptop is dying. There's a bay for another drive. Can I buy two new drives, install one (d), back up everything to it, install the other new one (c), and then restore to (c)?

I'm looking for the easiest way to replace the bad drive.
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 02-02-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Oops. It's a Vostro, not an Inspiron
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Default Re: New hard drive help, please.

Can't help you with a PC, but from this point forward, get yourself one of these.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-...&skuId=5597395
    Regards, Barry

Are you setup as a network? Easy to back up onto another computer (except operating system) and then back to new HD. Save one HD. Have not had to do OS for a while, factory installed often will not load onto new hard drive even in same machine.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

I have a 500GB Seagate, but it doesn't want to work on hers for some reason.

We're not on a network, but the last time I had to move stuff the tech was able to do it in-house using our wireless. I'm not that tech savvy.

My maxtor back up drive only works if I unplug/plug it while master is running ( not supported by W7). Then it finds new drive long enough to back up.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

You can do as you say, although you are doing two steps. You can do just one step, ie, clone the old drive direct to the new drive. Works as long as the new drive is bigger. Here's a link talking about it.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/20298...s-imaging.html

One thing, one time I did it when the old drive had bad sectors, and what happened some corrupted data got transferred to the new drive, so I still had issues with some files. So what could be a plan is clone your drive to the new drive, but if there's any problems you can start clean by reinstalling everything and then reinstating your backup files.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I won't offer any suggestions for your particular drive replacement, but I would recommend that you buy a Squaretrade warranty for the new hard drive.

I replaced a hard drive in a Tivo and the drive started to fail near the end of the 36 month warranty... Squaretrade PayPal'd me the money the same day that I mailed the old drive to them.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Rats. Back to the drawing board. When I was looking for solutions for an Inspiron I should have been looking for Vostro, as that's what she has. I looked and it only has a single bay, so I'm looking at an external. Or a new computer. I notice a service tag on the bottom of it from 2009.

Doesn't matter if there's a bay you can transfer long as you have a cable.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Without a network or a spare bay, or OT's suggestion, one way is to move files to an external drive (USB connection), replace the bad internal drive, and then move the files back to the new internal drive. That also gives you a copy of those files that you can store in a safe place. You just need to find a strategy for periodically updating that stored copy.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft