Default Garbage Disposal Installation..... my tale of woe..

First, let me preface this story with the fact that I have almost no mechanical aptitude. My dad was an engineer and I swear if those genes run in a family, they skip a generation. I failed screw driving 101 and cannot hammer a nail without straightening it out 3 times. My dad would never let me touch power tools (unless they were unplugged) and I was handing them to him.

But there comes a time in every guy’s life where he needs to prove himself …. That came last week when our garbage disposal gave up the ghost. Now at least I had the internet to guide me. So I Googled, Utubed, Binged, and asked “Jeeves”! I was ready. I ordered the exact same garbage disposal as the one I was replacing to make the job a little easier. It arrived, I opened the box. Inside was my garbage disposal, but this one had plug -in cord! I looked at the box; it was a Whirlaway 191c, and not the Whirlaway 191 I had ordered. I’m guessing the “C” meant that it was corded. When I asked “Jeeves” (my internet buddy) he told me they were all direct wired. Now what? “Jeeves” would not answer. Ok looking at the disposal, the rest of it appeared exactly the same. If I could only remove that cord, I could direct wire it. The cord had one of those globs of rubber on each side of the cord where it connected to the garbage disposal. Long story short, an hour later and with much consternation, I had removed the plug in cord (with the globs of rubber) and now it looked just liked my old direct wire garbage disposal. I was ready.

I followed the directions to the T! I removed the old disposal and installed the new, checking all the connections, making sure there were no leaks, that the water went down, that old food (which we had some of since it took a while for me to understand what “Jeeves” was saying to me on the installation (and because I was stalling on installing the disposal)) ground up nicely. I was very proud of myself. It was EASY, replacing the existing disposal with the exact same model meant there no new water supply or disposal lines to fabricate, just hook it all up to the existing connections!
    I told my wife, we’re going out to dinner to celebrate. She was all for that so she turned on the dishwasher and we left for dinner. Now some of you may be saying to him or herself, I wonder if he……….. Well, I didn’t!

After a nice dinner out, we returned home. My wife was first in the house. She walked into the kitchen and the next words I heard were, “hey boy genius!” Now, I’ve heard those words before during our marriage and they did not have a nice connotation. Upon entering the kitchen, there was water ……everywhere. Not only had the dishwasher run, my wife had used the “Pots & Pans” cycle, meaning that there were EXTRA washes and EXTRA rinses. My wife left me standing there with the words “It’s all yours!”

Hours (and many, many, many wet towels) later I had finally cleaned up the water. But what was the problem??? I timidly turned on the dishwasher to see what would happen. It worked fine………. Until it started to drain! Water stated spouting from that thing on top of the sink, shooting everywhere. I quickly turned off the dishwasher, cleaned up the water (again) and went looking under the sink for the source of my problem. Couldn’t see a thing wrong. Ok, where’s the directions. Oh yeah, they were in the trash that was now covered with wet paper towels and more trash. Ok time to trash can dive. Found the soggy garbage disposal instructions and it appeared that I had followed them exactly. Wait, what’s this thing called a “knock-out” plug? Upon further reading the directions, they stated “if you are connecting a dishwasher to the garbage disposal, make sure you remove the knock-out plug. (That instruction was in fine print!) “Jeeves” never said anything about a knock-out plug. Sure enough, when I removed the drain line from the dishwasher that connected to the garbage disposal and stuck my finger in there, there it was. Then I found out you just can’t knock-out the knock-out, reconnect and you’re fine. No, when you knock- out the knock-out plug, the knocked- out plug goes inside the garbage disposal! That knocked me out! I was NOT going to ask my wife (who probably had small enough hands to fit inside the disposal to get the knocked out knock out plug out of the disposal) she’d probably knock me out. So, after an hour later (seemed much longer) spent removing the disposal and turning it upside down to remove the knocked out knock out plug I had completed the garbage disposal installation.

You can be sure I stayed with the dishwasher through the next ENTIRE wash!
    Last edited by snl; 01-31-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Default Re: Garbage Disposal Installation..... my tale of woe..

Now I gotta peel myself off the floor...

welcome to home owning 305

great story!!
    Zone4A
    “We can love completely what we cannot completely understand.” -Maclean

sounds about normal, but the investment in new fun tools always gets my better half down.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Funny story. Thanks for sharing it. Something like that can happen to even an experienced DIY'er.

Whenever I do a project that will save the household money in the long run, I make sure I get a new tool somehow. Hey, I saved money!

I find it easier if I tell myself at the outset that I will be doing the job once to learn how to make the necessary mistakes, and then again to do it right.

I know someone (a beekeeper no less) that did something (I can't remember exactly what he did, but it was very wrong).....he was thrilled with how the dishwasher was working, until his father in law came by the house and pointed out the sewage spewing out of the vent in the roof like a fountain. ..the kind of thing you don't wish on anyone, but if it's going to happen, don't you wish you were there to see it?

deknow

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Some of us have to learn these things the hard way. Good thing too, because it makes good reading material for like -minded folks such as myself. At least you know what not to do next time.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by TalonRedding View Post
    At least you know what not to do next time.
    Next time I'll let my wife do it. She knows how to do EVERYTHING!!!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Time to put the plumber's number on SPEED DIAL!

Yeah... that was embarrasing... but funny as all get out! I've installed dozens of garbage disposals over the years so I know exactly what you describe.
    FYI though, you can knock out the plug and grind it up in the disposal. After all that thing is designed to grind. I pulled out a wedding band from one of my customers disposals because hers quit spinning. You should have seen that mess,,,, scrap. A little thin wafer of plastic is NOTHING for that thing. lol
    Thanks again for sharing.

Our ceiling still has messed up dry wall from a water line I messed up. Don't feel bad.

I barely fit under our kitchen sink and feel trapped when replacing the faucet which I have done a couple times. That under the sink area with the garbage disposal can be a nightmare. I hope that your wife appreciated your efforts after it was all said and done. I have been in similar shoes and thrown my hands up in the air and said like"Call a plumber=xx==" or something along those lines but I always ended up crawling back under to get it done. I've had my wife under that sink trying to free up rusted bolts LOL Funny after it's fixed but not during. Towels + more Towels

Thanks for sharing! DIY projects hardly ever go as planned, even for the experienced. "But for the grace of God go I."

"hey boy genius"

I am SO BAD with stuff like that. Once my car needed coolant, and my husband wasn't home, and he told me to get the gray bottle from the trunk and pour it in the radiator. He told me where it was, I found the gray bottle, poured it in, and just as I had emptied the bottle, saw the words "motor oil" on the label. Whoops. I still get in trouble for that from time to time LOL. You know what though, he should have known better than to trust me with such a daunting task!

I offer a solution. I have managed to convince my wife that garbage disposals are EVIL, and should be banned. They increase the need for sewage treatment. When people dump grease down their drains they get clogs. They destroy silverware and the occasional wedding ring.

She bought it!

The crowning achievement was when she became a Master Gardener and started composting the stuff people put down disposals. Now she's proud of the fat worms in the compost pile.

You still need some proficiency rigging the traps when you replace the disposal, though. Keep the paper towels handy.

Yes! I had to convince my Husband the same, NO GARBAGE DISPOSAL, especially if you have a septic system! Now if I could only talk him into getting rid of the microwave. We do not have an automatic dishwasher either , more cabinet space, less wear and tear on dishes, helps get my hands clean!