Default Canadian spring bee supply question

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Rheal was saying that package orders are up already with outdoor guys expecting the worst already....
    What do packages run out there in the flatlands for spring delivery ? Are they the 2, 3 or 4lb varieties ? When we first started, we got a couple 4lb packages, and had the option for an extra queen with each. If memory serves, for small quantity retail, they were running north of $220 per each when we got them.

Default Re: Indoor wintering

Some buy 3 or 4 lbs Australian packages, I have been buying the New Zealand 2 lbs packages with queen. I think I heard the price had gone up on them, $170... Hmmm

Some buy 3 or 4 lbs Australian packages, I have been buying the New Zealand 2 lbs packages with queen. I think I heard the price had gone up on them, $170... Hmmm

I'll try this again, hopefully not construed as an add this time. DISCLAIMER ---I dont have the setup to do it at this time, just thinking Hmmm.

What kind of pricing are you folks on the Canadian prairies looking at for spring nucs ? Thinking specifically of quantity 50 to 100 on a timeframe of 'shortly after you haul bees out of the shed', including delivery, how much are those going to cost out there ?

Well, anything better than $170 for a two pound package with queen. Aussie packages are cheaper than that yet. If I could get 3 pound packages with queen for $120, I'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    I'll try this again, hopefully not construed as an add this time. DISCLAIMER ---I dont have the setup to do it at this time, just thinking Hmmm.

What kind of pricing are you folks on the Canadian prairies looking at for spring nucs ? Thinking specifically of quantity 50 to 100 on a timeframe of 'shortly after you haul bees out of the shed', including delivery, how much are those going to cost out there ?
    Grozzie2, I have heard of producers from Manitoba shipping bees out to BC to winter. I have heard of commercial operators in BC having wintered nucs ready for early sale to prairie beekeepers. I have not heard of any BC operators venturing into the package business. Do you think the timing fits? How many rounds of brood do you have by the beginning of April?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

We would be interested in ackages from BC. Another thought is how early could one have queens ready as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    We would be interested in ackages from BC. Another thought is how early could one have queens ready as well.
    For side liners and fully commercial folks in BC it is nice to hear others would be interested in product. I doubt I would be making the volume required...still it is interesting.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Out of curiosity what's the demand level for nucs out on the prairies? Do you guys just prefer packages? How many brood frames do you guys like them? I'd also be interested what the price point would be for these overwintered nucs in bulk.

I have a couple of New Zealand packages coming in April. No set price yet but the girl said she believes they'll be around $165. Even if it's a bit more won't bother me because the supplier is only an hour away so I can pick them up and not have them stressed by mail shipping.
    Colino
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

It's a hard one to gauge. One year you can't move nucs , the next you can't find them.
    It's our unpredictable weather which favours package bee replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Ian;1052193I
    have not heard of any BC operators venturing into the package business.
    I was asking about nucs. Packages would be a whole different game, probably couldn't shake bees here till mid May. I've been told by a few oldtimers that it was a common practise to shake bees for swarm control and ship them out east, back in the pre-varroa days. But the specific question was nucs on the mid to late april timeline.

Grozzie2, the market is there for nucs already. Get them out here, sell sell sell. Look into the live hive auction consignment sale every May. Might be a good place to offer out hives.

Given the overall geopolitical situation in Canada, you could make a good spring income by indoor wintering several hundred 5 frame nucs and selling them in early spring. Ian, you might consider this.
    DarJones - 45 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Yup