Default Nematodes for SHB control

Being a beekeeper that does not use chemicals or medicines I was wondering about controlling what I saw as a potential problem from small hive beetles. I never saw an abundance of them, but sometimes as many as 5-8 during a hive inspection, which I promptly killed. I don't believe I have a problem with SHB, but I want to make sure I don't in the future.
    I stumbled on a You Tube video from Florida State University where they talked about Nematodes to control SHB. After further research I contact Southeastern Insectaries last night and just asked a general question, expecting perhaps an email answer "down the road". The owner of the company called me this morning and we had a great 1/2 hour long conversation. Phil is a real decent guy and after several questions I will be spreading nematodes this spring, at $25 for 5 million nematodes, I think it money well spent at giving the bees one less headache to deal with. Thoughts? Anyone else use them?

Default Re: Nematodes for SHB control

I am interested in your topic, but I suspect you will have better success with this subject in the more general Bee Forum.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 01-31-2014 at 06:14 AM.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Hello.
    I'm glad that someone else has been entertaining this idea, as I did it last year and really believe that it helped. You can query my username, and see some of the postings/questions I done here to get an idea of how bad it actually was. Basically, I started using the traps that fit between the frames, bottom traps and anything I could do to try and get rid of them. "people" say that if you have enough bees in the hive that the bees will take care of them and keep them at bay - but in my case, this didn't work. I actually almost lost a 3-deep hive that was full of bees (all 3 boxes) whenever I tried to do a split on it - so I ended up loosing atleast 2 splits. I still have a problem, but no where like I did and I believe it's due to the use of the Nematodes. I moved my hives, but treated both locations and significantly reduced the SHB problem. I still use some traps, and catch/kill -but nothing like before. The thing I liked about this idea is that the Nematodes keep multiplying with every 'dinner' they eat and multiply without having to use poisons or continually using other 'hazard' types of treatments. I'm planning on purchasing more this spring myself - and would recommend them .

good luck, and if you want to follow along with my Journey in beekeeping - here's my blog.
    http://cbeesapiary.blogspot.com/

mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I am interested in your topic, but I suspect you will have better success with this subject in the more general Bee Forum. According to the rules of this Treatment Free forum, what you are asking about is considered a treatment.
    Ok, being new here, I thought that the treatment free forum would be just the place for this, believing that using nematodes would not be considered a treatment. Guess I will post over there too.

Is there by any chance a way you could post information concerning the nematode species you are talking about?
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I am interested in your topic, but I suspect you will have better success with this subject in the more general Bee Forum. According to the rules of this Treatment Free forum, what you are asking about is considered a treatment.
    No, they're not a 'treatment'.

"Treatment: A substance introduced by the beekeeper into the hive with the intent of killing, repelling, or inhibiting a pest or disease afflicting the bees."

You don't put these nematodes into the hive. They go into the ground around the hive to suppress SHB reproduction.

Here's a link to what I ordered, and have had good luck with. http://www.southeasterninsectaries.com/nematodes.php My memory databank doesn't store all the information it used to since grammer school but these helped me. It appears that beekeepers are like politicians some times with extreemes on either side, but my thought are to keep them as 'natural' as possible - but, if I can provide some assistance from time to time, it will help our bees -and me- us in the long run.

WLC has a point. Nematodes intended to control SHB are applied to the ground near the hive.

Regardless of the point of application, a nematode thread IMO is likely to get more readers and more responses in the Bee Forum or the Diseases & Pests Forum than in the TF forum.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I'd be curious what your results are. Keep us posted. But then it didn't sound like you had a problem to begin with...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by TalonRedding View Post
    Is there by any chance a way you could post information concerning the nematode species you are talking about?
    I will be getting them from this same place that SeaPro220 did http://www.southeasterninsectaries.com/nematodes.php
    I also want to do a story on them for my Newspaper as we have many Amish beekeepers in this area too, and they are 100% against using any kind of chemical or medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I'd be curious what your results are. Keep us posted. But then it didn't sound like you had a problem to begin with...

Will do Michael, I am sure to someone that has been at it as long as you this might be just added effort. Like you said, I didn't really have a problem, but after seeing the results from people that have, I know I don't want to go through that, if I can help it.