Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Time to get nervous #3

I see and I agree.

What efforts are you going to do to help manage the heat and dryness issues in your queen rearing operation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    No, what I was trying to say was, we have had Cali queen orders delayed by weeks in the past due to unfavourable cool wet weather. I know all bout managing bees in cold wet weather... But we still got our queens and they performed as well as they always do .

Now your here your saying hot hot and dry and implying lousy queens as a result.

I'm gathering hot and dry is worst for raising queens in?

Ok, How can I explain this. Normally this is a Mediterranean climate. Rain comes over a short season and we get none most of the rest of the time. Best that way for the crops. Here the rain comes mid November and is finished by the end of March on most years. Once mid march shows up we could care less about rain if the regular rain has already come. Especially don't want long spells of it once mid march shows up. In our current case the drought means there is little to no flowers and the associated pollen and small nectar flow that comes with them. Hot and dry is good if its follows a winter of adequate rain. That is not the current case. Does this help explain?

Well it explains your situation ,

What's the plan ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well it explains your situation ,

What's the plan ?
    Ian,
    I know you have a way bigger operation than me, but the Kona's sure beat Cali and even NZ queens last year. Had a better acceptance rate too in my experience. I got some California Italian Oli last year and the queens were tiny and the bee's hated them, balled and killed them.

Carni Kona's do really well up here in the peace. The NZ did well first year and failed in spring.
    Had a few Chilean as well but they were darn near africanized.

With the seasonal problems sounds like the usual Cali guys won't be able to supply anyway.

If the writing is on the wall as it has been suggested in this thread then yes we have to act immediately to secure our queen stock.
    Jodie , I have also liked the KONA queens but supply limits their availablity.

Exclamation Re: Time to get nervous #3

We added 30% more mini mating nucs for use this year. I now wish we would have doubled.
    One thing I have preached and preached to my fellow beekeepers is the idea that becoming proficient and maintaining proficiency in queen rearing is critical to the security of the beekeeping operation.
    There are a lot of senerios that could result in reduced or no queen availability.
    This year it may be drought.
    I'll be practicing more of which I preach this fall WHEN I TRIPPLE my number of mini-nucs.
    Nothing bad has happened with queen orders so far this year and yet I have already learned my lesson.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Well said Harry.

H4, how are you looking for bloom now? If the weather patterns are correct, you should hit 30% bloom on early varieties Monday.
    DarJones - 45 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Fusion,

The early ones showed a a sprinkle or smattering of open blooms yesterday. Went with the wife down the driveway yesterday and had her tool around in her "ride" about the almonds going down the rows watching 10 bees fight over every open flower.

Today was the first day since winter started that the sun failed to shine. Thankfully we got a modest rain ( maybe little less than 1/5 inch) Some of that "better than nothing" rain of which I am extremely thankful for. Don't think the temps went past the higher 40'S today which will stall the bloom opening.

As I mentioned to Westernbee on the phone the other evening the early varieties have buds that are like a room full of 14 year old girls who are all about ready to giggle. Won't take much to set them over the edge and once it does there is nothing holding them back once they get going. With the temps back in the 50"s the next few days things should pinking up pretty well pretty soon. With the forecast of some pretty good rain next weekend the cross-over on the bloom might get interesting the following week. More latter as it transpires.

Update: After lunch I put on the raincoat and tiptoed out to the rain gauge in my shorts and bare feet to see what was in there. Since Thursday (02.06.2014) we have received a smidgen over 3 inches. Not much by some standards but practically 150% of the totals received prior to these storms. Not enough for the year but surely a good measure for us when the outlook was so bleak previously.

Went by the orchard near my bees in woodland, the early rows were probably 20-30% in bloom on average. Hope it keeps falling, haven't gotten any big down pours, but can't complain about this steady drizzle.

Honey-for-all, you're doing a better job than the Blue Diamond Report. They were supposed to have a new report out yesterday.

While the impact that the drought will have on California queens is certainly a concern, I would wonder what impact it would have on pollinator colony losses, and more importantly, the impact on bees for package production.

Not to burst the bubble you are blowing for me but I think it was up yesterday. Maybe you were looking in the wrong spot. Take a peak at http://www.bluediamond.com/applicati....cfm?navid=101 I saw it last night.

Without going into a lot of detail a quick glance says the bloom in the north and west is a little farther along than other regions.

I had my son go out back and check lids on the hives today as the wind has been on the blustery side with the rain. He mentioned that our Winters are about 25% open. Once the sun shows back up I hope to take some pics and post them here. even though I'm lovin the rain I figure the camera might not so we will wait.

Rustyhawk started a thread in the commercial forum with a link to some pictures taken on Wednesday northwest of Chico.

Nice pics! And let the rain continue... for awhile anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12