Default Only have one hive and considering Hogan style trapouts or split my only hive

My 10 frame lang hive with two deeps is so far making it thru winter. I want to have a couple more hives but try and keep my only hive strong. When I first started beekeeping last year I didn't know about trapping and catching swarms. I was going to split and go from there. Now I have access to two trees with bees. I have two Hogan traps. Bought one and made one. I built 5 deep nucs too and want to try and catch a swarm. No old comb but have LG oil. Instead of splitting would doing trapouts the way Mr Hogans' info which I have be almost like splitting to prevent swarming? Or safer to split and go from there? Thx for any replies.

Default Re: Only have one hive and considering Hogan style trapouts or split my only hive

I woudl first say which way do you feel you have the most cinfidence in. Confidence when you have no other experience can make or break you attempt regardless of which one it is.

Even a coupel fo frame of comb. with or without honey woud be needed for the Hogan trap out. Teh bees have to have soem place to get started and you are nto goign to give them much of an option but to remian in your trap. you are not attemptign to lure bees to this box. you are going to force them to take it over. The trap out worked best for me when I left ot for a few days to gain bees. then added a frame of open brood for them to make a queen from. I got 2 5 frame nucs from a single trap out box full of bees this way.

You also need to wait unilt bees are foraging, rearing brood etc. you can then take a frame or two from your existing hive to put in the trap out.

As for me split or trap out and swarm captured. ther eis no contest I ahve never split a hive. I have a lto of captured swarms and three hives formed from cut outs. if given the choice I will take a swarm capture over a trap out any day. Plits make no since to me. You work to make a strogn hive only to bust it up. Okay if that is how youwant to do it. I make a strong hive to have a strong hive. So I have never really given splitting much attention.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Default Re: Only have one hive and considering Hogan style trapouts or split my only hive

Thanks for the reply. I really would like to not split either but prevent swarming. I was reading some Michael Bush info about swarming and prevention. Yes, this is my 2nd year and I have been reading all I can. I should keep it simple and not get too complicated.

Your main hive. I would pull a frame of brood honey and shake some bees in a nuc box. Buy a queen. And put it all to gather. You will not set them back that much. Put your traps on when you see a open swarm cell with eggs pull that frame and dump your trap out bees together. You are going to need a couple frames of comb per trap out at less.
    David

Ty for reply David. Makes sense.