Smile Looking to order spring nucs in MD, PA, or VA near DC

I'd like to order 2 spring nucs w/queens of bee's from my region. Overwintered and Chemical-free is a big plus, prefer Russians and/or Carolinians. I know it's early but I'd like to make sure I get them as early as I can in the spring so they have plenty of time to build up.

Thanks!

Default Re: Looking to order spring nucs in MD, PA, or VA near DC

I'd say go w/ the carni's. Italians will eat all the honey in August during the dearth here. I have some carni's I'm planning to split but this is their first winter--they did great last summer. For survivor stock-if treatment free is your goal-you want bees that come from hives that have survived at least "TWO" winters. It is the second winter that the mites get them usually. I say this because some folks sell "survivor" stock from hives that survived the winter but if they came from GA last spring this means nothing in terms of long term hardiness.

I do have an Italian hive from GA that almost died out from mites their second winter. I mean down to a baseball cluster. I put them is na nuc last Feb and they are robust as can be this winter. Will move to a full hive this spring and split next year if the keep doing good. Almost no mites either. Hive right next to them is supposedly "hygenic" from GA and they are riddled with mites. Probably going to lose them this winter--the first hive lost to mites during the first winter but this winter doesn't compare to the last few.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to the board. If you wanted to wait until next year I could maybe help but not this year. Bjorn apiaries sells overwintered treatment free stock in PA but it looks like they have carry over orders from last year so are not taking orders so far this year for nucs. Can get queens and packages w/out queens from somewhere else--not cheap though.

Piece of advice: If treatment free is your goal don't start out all treatment free--especially with 2 hives. Chances are you will lose them and if you want honey you may get discouraged. Better to treat half. I do this with MAQS (mite away quick strips) which is listed for organic use. If my current surviror is susscessful and I can replicate w/ splits then I will stop all treatment. However, if you can start w/ proven treatment-free two year survivor stock then you may have better odds (I started w/ packages from GA--carnis from CA but from known good stock). If you go the package route pay the extra for known genetics not the cheap "hygenic" bees from GA. I knew it was hype but felt bad cancelling my one package as they were a young family w/ first kid. Figured I had the space so I would give it a try too w/ the carnis.

thank JClark! Great advice and I'll keep it in mind for sure

Be sure ur nucs are hive bettle free too. I talked with someone today who had hive beetles in their hives cuz the nucs came from down south.

thanks, I'll be sure to take a look at that.

We just ordered two nucs from Eversweet Apiaries. Northeastern panhandle of WV, actually east of I-81 and closer to DC than Winchester. Didn't sound like he was sold out. His bees come from a WV state bee inspector, says this year they have Italians and Carniolans, and they make sure the queen is laying before you pick up your nucs.

Some of the local clubs are making nucs for their newer members.

Thanks Phoebee!

Just be aware that some of these folks pic up bees in GA and then sell them here. If you are getting bees at the beiginning of Apr here then chances are they were picked up down south and transported up as a bulk buy.

JClark: Thanks! That's one of the questions I'm asking folks selling bees just to be sure I'm getting local girls.