Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dado Blades

Default Dado Blades

I'm hoping to start making some of my own equipment this year, and I've been poking around the internet at the different dado blades available...and it's a little overwhelming. The general opinion of the blades available at my local Home Depot (Freud Diablo and Avanti Pro) is that they're crap. I'm not saying that I have to have the best, but I want to get some that are good enough so I only buy them once.

Oshlun seems to be well-regarded (I have this set in mind), but at the end of the day I'm making beehives, not high-quality furniture. Maybe one of the cheapo sets would get the job done.

What do you use/recommend?

Thanks,
    Brandon

Default Re: Dado Blades

I'm limited myself...bought this set from Lowe's and have been very satisfied thus far...Again, building bee boxes and equipment is about the extent of my woodworking ability.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/circular-...ies-dado-blade

Not finding it on Lowe's website, but want to say it retails in the $150 range, although I see Amazon has them for $99....Good Luck!

here is my take on them, we're making boxes for critters that regularly live in dead/hollow trees. the bees don't care. So it's really up to the beekeeper. I have three sets of stackable dado blades, from various manufactures like craftsman and dewalt...etc. They are not carbide tipped. All of these sets were purchased for less than $20 each at garage sales or online. I also have a wobble dado blade. None of my table saws have the arbor length to handle 3/4" stacks of blades, so i don't use them. I did make a couple of boxes with 1/2" joints and the cheap blades seemed to work just fine. Most folks are using 1xX" pine boards, so the wood is fairly soft.

If i were in your place, I'd buy a cheap set of blades, and use the rest of the money for otehr bee gear. in a few years if you think you need a better blade set, then you can get it, but i doubt you'll find the need for it.

I would agree to a point. I'd encourage you NOT to consider steel blades. Stick with carbide. Pine will do a number on steel.
    Regards, Barry

I bought a stackable set from home depot. I think its a diablo or something like to that. I made around 30 nuc boxes so far and all seem well. I'm running it on a newer craftsman table saw and the arbor isn't quite long enough but I run 3/4" dado anyhow. I'm not saying its right but I made all my boxes with it and knock on wood its been alright. If I had it to do all over I would by a saw with a longer arbor and go with the same dado set.

A little off but close to topic. Just what would be a "minimum" length for the arbor to safely handle a full stack?
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

I have both Oshlund and Freud and they both do an excellent job, will last a long time before needing to be sharpened. I don't think you would be disappointed with either of them.

These are around $100.00, but, with normal use they will last forever.

cchoganjr

> Just what would be a "minimum" length for the arbor to safely handle a full stack?

If you want to use a dado stack that is 3/4", then you need 5/8" additional arbor beyond the end of the arbor nut when you have a normal 1/8" blade mounted.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 01-29-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I just checked and I also have the Freud. As far as safe I would think anything over an 1". Keep in mind you have a large washer and a nut that needs to go on after your dado.

Right now I'm on a budget and only looking to use dados for bee boxes. So when I saw the 25% off coupon for Harbor Freight in the paper, I went and bought the 42 teeth carbide set (normally $59). Haven't tried them out yet, but I'm confident they will do the job.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

I would guess that if you are just going to build bee supplies for yourself, you should be O.K.

cchoganjr

I have a set from Harbor Freight (china) that I got for 20 bux on sale several years ago and I have made hundreds of boxes, innercovers, tops, bottom boards and still using them the second set I bought a few days later for back up is still hanging by the saw.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    the second set I bought a few days later for back up is still hanging by the saw.
    That is good to know. I have never purchased a dado set from Harbor Freight, but, I buy almost all my staples from them. Never had a problem. Their 5000 pack is about half the cost at Lowes and Home Depot.

cchoganjr

take a look at the screw advance box joint jig. It's faster!

It really depends how fussy you are. I cannot stand dados that are not flat on the bottom. I too was on a budget when I purchased my first couple dado sets. The avanti from Home Depot is terrible. Poor quality dados. I went to sears and purchased a "quality" Craftsman set for over $100. Again it was terrible. Lots of burning, chip out, and lots of messing around to cut exact 3/4 inch dados with stupid cardboard shims.

I wanted to buy the best quality Freud dado set but they were will over $200. I searched eBay and found a high quality 6" dado that was $195 new and got it for $50. It is a awesome set. Easy to use. Perfectly flat dados. Exact widths with no fuss.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon;105 [CENTER
    take a look at the screw advance box joint jig. It's faster![/CENTER]
    FlashGordon....Have you used one of those. Could you elaborate. I have always wondered if they are as good as they say they are.

cchoganjr

bsharp -

I bought that exact set about 1.5 years ago and have made all my own equipment since. It has served me well so far. I like it for the money.

PAHunter62

I have used Freud and Diablo dado sets, along with some cheapies along the way. I currently run a Diablo stack with satisfactory results. As mentioned before a good carbide tooth will get you much further than straight steel. The best bet, whatever set you get, is to run it awhile and then have them sharpened together as a set. This is the only way that I know of to get a truly matched set of blades. They will perform so much better. When I was teaching such things, we never made an entire dado cut in one pass. Always make a initial cut to hog out the material and then a final pass (or two) to dimension. It will result in easier cut, less tear out, and a cleaner kerf.

Double post
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    I cannot stand dados that are not flat on the bottom.
    Then you would not be happy with a wobble blade, it leaves you with a cupped bottom on your dado. I have both a Task wobble blade and a Freud stacking dado set. I only use the wobble blade for cuts that don't need to be perfect like hive body handles, for the fine stuff I use my Freud set.
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast