Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rare Snowfall in South Carolina

Awakened this morning to a very rare snowfall in SC.... Only about 2" but in a town that almost never gets any, that's a lot! There are kids here that have never seen snow! They are already out and about playing in it....

Hopefully some pics later!

Default Re: Rare Snowfall in South Carolina

Enjoy it if u can. It'll be gone tomorrow.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Maybe not, the temps are not supposed to rise above 34 today.........we'll C..... It's just neat to see kids playing in it who have never seen or played in it b4.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I know old timers near the Pee Dee River who have seen it w/ ice on it.

Awakened this morning, and it wasn't snowing very rare in NY.... and even rarer in Brazzer Falls
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I watched a news report on the 2" snow that shut down Georgia and Alabama. It just shows how vulnerable we can be.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/29/us/win...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    Awakened this morning, and it wasn't snowing very rare in NY.... and even rarer in Brazzer Falls
    Snow wasn't falling or being blown around, but there is plenty of it out there and it's 7 degrees F right now. High of 28 tomorrow. Almost the same as Manning,SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    I watched a news report on the 2" snow that shut down Georgia and Alabama.
    I know you weren't making sport of us....but many do.
    Back in the day I worked for a company that was based in Wisconsin. Every time we'd get one of these storms, the next morning, when I'd call the home office, they'd laugh at us. I'd tell them, that when it all cleared up and I got out on the highway again, invariably in the ditches along with everyone else were cars with Wisconsin plates. I've driven on snow and I've driven on ice. We get ice. Anybody with an ounce of good sense can drive on snow. Nobody, no matter where you learned to drive, no matter how many wheels you have driving, has any control on ice.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Nobody, no matter where you learned to drive, no matter how many wheels you have driving, has any control on ice.
    Agree..........Prior to radials, we had "Snow Tires." No good on ice. Now if you put "chains" (remember those?) on you could get traction on ice, but pointing the car where you wanted to go was another whole matter.

Some years ago I was on an interstate after one of our ice/snow storms. The left lane was a sheet of black ice....and no one was driving on it. The right lane had sections of ice but if you kept your cool and didn't apply brakes you were ok. Everyone was well spaced, travelling around 25. A shiny, late model four wheel drive pickup came zipping down an entrance ramp. Clearly some kook who'd been waiting for an excuse to switch on his four wheel drive. He hit the bottom of the ramp, spun a 180 and came to a rest facing oncoming traffic. Some poor guy in a semi....even at 25 was unable to stop or avoid him. I always figured that at least the kook saw it coming.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Some poor guy in a semi....even at 25 was unable to stop or avoid him. I always figured that at least the kook saw it coming.
    Wow....... I can't imagine the last thoughts that "kook" had with that semi coming straight at him.

I was gona' start a thread with something like "Help there's snow on my hives", but this is much better.

Yes, driving in snow, it's just whatever you'r used to. My wife is from St Petersburg, Russia. She is very upset that they closed schools today.

The Russians think some hive products will cure darn near every disease on the planet.

locally 2 inches of new snow is a rarety this time of year, we normally get a lot more than that. just south of me the weather reports of 1 to 2 in a day is in feet, a few inches is not worth talking about...the weather was mild overnight about 7 degrees as mark said above but blowing pretty good here, new 2 foot snow drifts across the driveway.

2" in SC .. in a combo in ice & snow brings the town to a halt. There are no snow plows, no salt spreaders, no salt, no snow shovels, no NOTHING. Well maybe pots and pans! We just wait till it melts to move around..........usually no more than a day or two...

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    locally 2 inches of new snow is a rarety this time of year, we normally get a lot more than that. just south of me the weather reports of 1 to 2 in a day is in feet, a few inches is not worth talking about...the weather was mild overnight about 7 degrees as mark said above but blowing pretty good here, new 2 foot snow drifts across the driveway.
    You live w/in the snow belt. I am above that. We are usually colder here by a few degrees or sometimes more, but we get less snow.

When we get 2 inches of ice and snow and slimey roads, it is called the first snow of the season and the unaware slide into other drivers and the rest of us just go to work.

FatBeeMan posted a video to his youtube site yesterday showing snow on the ground in his yard. Ouch!
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

I feel sorry for you folks. Wrong tires, some hilly country and no experience. It is raining here now with 10 inches of snow forecast today. I have the luxury of a 4wd 3/4 ton pickup with good tires when I need to go, because it is going to be really bad. God bless us every one.

My experience has been that male drivers in the 18-35 year old age bracket in a 4x4 1/2-ton pickup are the absolute worst drivers on the road during a snowstorm.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Amen to that Berry! I saw a good number from that demographic wrecked during my 9hour trip from Cartersville, GA to GA-400 and I-285��