Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default drone frame for varroa control

Has anyone tried the drone frame method to control varroa and how were the results?

Default Re: drone frame for varroa control

Ongoing discussion on removing drone comb:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ded-with-mites
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for that link mike that discussion got a bit heated good read though

Drone brood culling can be effective but the beekeeper must be absolutely diligent. If you fail to remove the drone cell frame before the drones emerge, you may actually make your mite infestation worse.
    Labor intensive and requires commitment.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

> If you fail to remove the drone cell frame before the drones emerge, you may actually make your mite infestation worse.

Many things in life are counter intuitive. I let them build as much drone as they want (foundationless). I leave all of the drone comb and I leave all of the drones to emerge. It is difficult to find any Varroa in my hives. It may make it better...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It helps in removing mites, just put a foundationless frame in the brood area & they will draw it out as drone comb.
    The green plastic frames are a pain in the.....
    Dan

> The green plastic frames are a pain in the.....

Presumably foundationless frames cost less than those green plastic frames, but other than $ what is the pain factor for the plastic drone frames?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

just a thought-If most of the mites go to the drones do the mites then leave the drones and go to the workers or do they stay attached to whoever they hatched on? If they stay then what difference do infected drones make if they move then you definitely need to freeze the drone frames before the drones emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsteelejr View Post
    If most of the mites go to the drones do the mites then leave the drones and go to the workers or do they stay attached to whoever they hatched on?
    They move.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I think one of the issues with using drones frames is timing. Leave them in too long and you're creating more mites than usual. My schedule is quite challenging at times so keep that in mind. If you use drone frames, you need to get in there and clean them up before the drones emerge. It does pay to keep careful records.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Our bees didn't draw the wax properly on the green frames, & We didn't like keeping them in the freezer until we needed them.
    The foundationless was simple, cut out the wax & put it back in the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    > The green plastic frames are a pain in the.....

Presumably foundationless frames cost less than those green plastic frames, but other than $ what is the pain factor for the plastic drone frames?
    Dan

I've been told the nooks and crannies on the green frames make good hiding places for SHB. But then again, maybe they double as SHB traps, presuming you're doing due diligence on the drone brood.

I expect to try them this year, but more of a science project than because I think this approach is the final answer.

If you check out Randy Olivers site, Scientific Beekeeping, he shows how to make a drone frame out of a regular deep frame. They will store honey at the top and raise drones under the divider strip. You just cut out the drone comb after it is capped off and they rebuild it again, easier than the green drone frames that you have to freeze.

Who needs to remove the drone frame when you cook the mites in place?

https://www.mitezapper.com/How-it-Works_c_19.html

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Many things in life are counter intuitive. I let them build as much drone as they want (foundationless). I leave all of the drone comb and I leave all of the drones to emerge. It is difficult to find any Varroa in my hives. It may make it better...
    When you see a post like this the conversation should turn to ....."(foundationless)" ....."It is difficult to find any Varroa in my hives..... THANKS Michael, Think I'll try that!!!!! Forget looking for the silver bullet, we know from experience it does not exist. Beeks have been looking for it since before the Elgon project!!!!

OH by the way thanks to the "foundationless" pioneers

I use the green drone frames. I've coated them with wax, to get the bees to draw out. They do ... sometimes. I take the frames out before hatching (hopefully). I'll scrape the cappings, and rest the frames on a solid surface. The local cat birds are around waiting for me to lay the foundation down, then they enjoy the feast.

The bees draw out foundationless very quickly. These frames I wired as I planned to uncap them but you wouldnt have to especially if you take the route of cutting the whole panel out and tossing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a gorgeous frame of drone brood.

I have used the Randy Oliver's system and it works a treat.drone comb collage 2.jpg The first photo is of the empty frame with the 2" section above and the lower section with just a starter strip. Second photo is 28 days later when filled with drone cells. A quick cut with a hive tool and all the drone cells removed. Chooks love the protein of the drone lave.
    Last edited by b2bnz; 02-04-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by b2bnz View Post
    I have used the Randy Oliver's system and it works a treat.drone comb collage 2.jpg The first photo is of the empty frame with the 2" section above and the lower section with just a starter strip. Second photo is 28 days later when filled with drone cells. A quick cut with a hive tool and all the drone cells removed. Chooks love the protein of the drone lave.
    works in Germany and America too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast