Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Inhaling Beehive Air - Apitherapy

Hi Guys

I've always wondered if beehive pheromones weren't mind altering and additive for humans. I think it's the way bees get us to take such good care of them.
    -bW
    the BWrangler and BNews guy

Note that the "air" inside a hive may be significantly higher in CO2 than our ordinary atmosphere ...

Even more remarkable, van Nerum & Buelens (1997) describe how the colony conserves energy and water by reducing ventilation with the tight winter cluster. The bees allow carbon dioxide levels to rise to as high as 6% (5% is dangerous to humans) inside the cluster.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/old-...o-bees-part-1/
    Normal "air" is about 0.04% CO2 (400 parts per million). So "beehive air" can have have up to 1000 times as much CO2 compared to what humans normally breathe.

Whether or not high levels of CO2 from beehive air can actually be called "theraputic" is questionable, but it may be possible in some cases. For instance, see this study proposal ...
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01041924
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I think that this is what you are looking for. A bed in a top bar hive!http://www.horizontalhive.com/how-to...ve-plans.shtml

Pardon me, but IMO that "bee bed" resembles a coffin more than a bed!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Unfortunately there are currently no studies reagding it(it is not easy to make double blind studies with this complex conditions). But there is a lot of practical experience in Europe especially Easteurope.
    I have a system from Mr. Musch (see below). It can applied on respiratory diseases.

In Germany there is now a device allowed formedical application e.g. in a hospital: --> http://www.beecurasystem.de/

http://www.apiair-musch.de/

Show me the science PLEASE!
    A "dutch oven" is a bad idea . This goes for bees and people.
    Then again people will inhale about anything these days.
    It sure seems that a beehive may have components that could help some people think they feel better BUT, and I'll stand behind this, there are also a lot of things that I would consider dangerous. Roach dander is one that jumps out.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Show me the science PLEASE!
    AFAIK there are currently no hard studies about bee hive air. It is difficult to make double blind studies on this topic.
    You need a beekeeper with his hives. You need a researcher. Bee hive air smells different from usual air. In a experiment you have to ensure that some patients get the hive air the other part fresh air (but with the same smell as bee hive air).
    This alone is already challenging. As you know neither the patients nor the physician has to know who becomes which air in the study. You need a homogeneous group of patients...

This can not achieved by beekeepers. And pharmacy industry is not interested in such studies...
    When you are a researcher at a university make such studies! Apitherapy community would be grateful to you. And you would be probably be the first who publishes a double blind study...

However there are a lot of practical experiences with bee hive air. Here is a German video from a serious German TV channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HtX...ature=youtu.be

It is successful applied in cases of asthma and breathing difficulties. When used as official cure the constraints for the doctors/beekeepers are high.
    You need a therapy house (mostly a cabin). Patients sit inside and are not in contact with any bee.
    Last edited by santa; 09-18-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Hi Guys

I've had a similar, relaxing, and very peaceful experience when next to a hive. Discovered it by accident And as a commercial beekeeper, who spent most of my time around hives/hive products, it was a surprise. I wrote about it back in 2010: Reading this thread inspired me to write a little more about that experience here:

http://bwrangler.litarium.com/a-brea...ir-apitherapy/

Back then, I thought it might be the hive sounds that were so relaxing. But upon reflection, hive odor is what I used to position my chair next to the hive. Maybe it was the combination of sound, hive odor, and increased CO2 that produced such peaceful results?
    Last edited by BWrangler; 09-24-2016 at 03:05 PM.
    -bW
    the BWrangler and BNews guy

I think we need two things:
    1. a good chemical analyse of the bee hive air ( A friend of mine is a professor of chemistry and I try to convince him to make such a analysis. :-) )
    I think the increased CO2 leads to this kind of fatigue that people report.
    2. double blind studies with patients

Based on the experiences I think there will be good chances that 2. will prove the
    effectiveness of bee hive therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by GaSteve View Post
    Hookah Hives -- coming to beekeeping suppliers near you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by CWHeadley View Post
    I think a good whack upside the head would do a lot to clear up some of their thinking
    Frank

Listen to good advice, then.... make your own decision. fusion_power
    www.vivabiene.de

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I think a good whack upside the head would do a lot to clear up some of their thinking
    Clear up who's thinking? Are you also discounting millenia of beekeeping experience in Europe and Asia, based on...nothing at all?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234