Default Multiple colonies?

I did a cutout, well actually it turned into multiple cutouts, and I have a question about colonies separated by floor joist. Here is what the second one looked like.

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 2.26.42 PM.jpg

I'm still totally amazed at the structure.

I forgot the camera on the first one. The first removal was two consecutive joist and when I went back (actually planning on getting a different shed cleaned up until I realized I wasn't done with the first) there was an empty joist and then the section in the picture. Is it likely that this is a separate colony? I haven't been able to locate the queen from either removal yet. I know I need to for a positive answer.

I'm really trying to figure out if I screwed up the first time and should have treated the two consecutive sections as separate colonies.

The second removal did not have as much brood and honey as the first one, but what they had was in the center of the chamber.

I'm still new and trying to learn from my mistakes. Many thanks for all the help from everyone here.

Default Re: Multiple colonies?

you had two different colonies.

Default Re: Multiple colonies?

Thank you Birdman. So the consecutive sections were (or should be) one colony. The other thing I found interesting was the difference in voulme of brood and honey. That is what led me to think all three sections might have been one colony. I appreciate the input.