Default Good off season project...

If you are anything like myself, winter is boring when it comes to beekeeping. Let's face it there isn't anything to do outside... but there is always something to do "bee related" inside.
    If you don't have a nice heated woodshop to work in, find one. It works real good to become friends with another beekeeper who happens to have one. Right Greg? lol
    Anywho, this is a real nice project to get into and can be built very easily in an hour or so with scraps around the shop.
    I chose to make the separating boards movable just by making them a snug fit.
    Like any storage building, figure out what size you need and then make it bigger. This rule applies here as well!

This beekeepers tool caddy pretty much holds all you'll need for a trip to the hive. If you have extra time, make another for a new beekeeper as a gift. It will surely be appreciated.

DSCF1182.jpg

Default Re: Good off season project...

Nicely done...Might need to put one of those on my "to do" list. However, still busy at the moment trying to make sure I have enough wooden ware for this coming season...Not to mention, an observation hive has been on my list since I got started last January, and my wife is leaning on me pretty heavily to get it done.

John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Nice job. Beekeeping with woodworking--a partnership everyone can agree on.
    9 months, 12 colonies, TF (so far)

Thanks for the pictures, you guys got me started on a new project. I do need one of these..........

I made a carry-all this winter as well. i used a 5-frame nuc box and made the lid a hinged lid with latch. on the exterior i hae mounts for a smoker, a hive too, bee brush, and a frame grip. Inside is undevided, but i have containers for paint pens, smoker fuel, queen catchers, and queen marking tubes. and of course all the otehr "stuff" we use is tossed in there. I added a shoulder strap for easy carrying. it should make trips back o the hive easier than gathering up all the stuff and tring to carry it on the 4-wheeler or tractor. it's a ncie project to take up a bit of time and stay busy.

Mr. Beeman very nice bow to carry your items to the hives, only thing is you might want to be careful with having the smoker in side a wood box. The bottom of the smoker is hot and could cause a fire. I just don't want anybody to burn down a garage or other building by placing a hot smoker in wood box and then putting it in a building. Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate the concern jamneff. I did forget to mention that I did place a ceramic tile in the bottom of the smoker compartment just in case. I usually make sure the smoker is out and cooling before I place it in the box anyway. Can't be too careful though.
    It also helps that I was volunteer firefighter for 26 years. It still amazes me when people put ashes from ther woodburner into a cardboard box and wonder why their house burned down. lol

I may just mount it to the exterior of the box now that you mention it.