Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw

Default Table Saw

Finally got a good table saw, a Grizzly. Does anyone know where I can get a good fence to go on iit?

Default Re: Table Saw

One source for aftermarket fences is Grizzly, including this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/W1411
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

This is what I have on my table saw.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/access...category_id=45

Good, but not cheap. But a great table saw without a great fence is just a pain in the butt.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

But a great table saw without a great fence is just a pain in the butt.
    I agree with Barry and Radar, but, If you plan to make boxes, year after year, make yourself patters to eliminate the need to make sure each cut, each piece, is the same every time. I find that no matter how many times I measured, they could be off just a little, one box to another. Does not take that long to make patterns, and then, each piece is the same as the last time you made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    I agree with Barry and Radar, but, If you plan to make boxes, year after year, make yourself patters to eliminate the need to make sure each cut, each piece, is the same every time. I find that no matter how many times I measured, they could be off just a little, one box to another. Does not take that long to make patterns, and then, each piece is the same as the last time you made it.
    Okay, I am the first to admit I am the LEAST handy carpenter you ever met. I don't have a table saw and wouldn't know how to use one if I did. I hand saw everything. I do use patterns, though. I lay them on my wood and draw my cutting lines and then I use my hand saw to cut on the lines. So what I don't understand is patterns with table saws. Do you attach them to the saw somehow or what? (Yes, I KNOW that is a dumb question but I sincerely do not know the answer!)

Rusty (blushing!)
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

There are NO DUMB questions if you do not know the answer. That is why beesource is here, to help people with problems they do not know the answers.

Yes, the patterns are anchored in the miter grooves in the table of the saw. Then the board is attached to this anchor, and acts as a fence. Each time you wish to make a box, you simply place the pattern on the table, anchor the pattern in the miter groove (s) ( I use wood clamps to insure that it doesn't slip or twist) then use the pattern as your fence.

Hope this helps. If not, Private Message me and I will try to help you.

Here is a pattern for cutting the rabbet in a shallow super. Notice how the small piece of wood is in the miter groove of the saw table. Also notice the board over the dado blade. It is there so you cannot get your fingers in the dado blade. Also holds the wood against the table so the entire cut of the rabbet is 3/8 inch.

cchoganjr

Pattern that shows miter groove anchor.jpg

cchoganjr

You, sir, are a gentleman and I thank you. Just that simple explanation has shown me that if I want to make the jump to a table saw, I will first have to find some kind of woodworking class for my own safety. That's how much I don't know!

(my fingers thank you too! )

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Aside from the "pattern" term Cleo used, other threads refer to these as sleds or perhaps jigs.

The details of a pattern or sled or jig will vary depending on what component you are cutting and the spacing of the miter slots on your saw table. Lots of links to photos of sleds by Ross in this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...king-equipment

And also this longer thread with photo contributions from multiple members:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ngers-question
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    One source for aftermarket fences is Grizzly, including this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/W1411
    That looks like a good fence. A friend gave me a Rockwell 1hp table saw yesterday but it doesn't have a fence, I think I'll get the grizzly. Does anyone know how it's fitted? Are they universal or do you have to order saw specific? I'm looking forward to building some jigs like Cleo's with this saw because it has nice big miter grooves, unlike my Skil which has grooves that are "T" shaped in profile.
    Cleo would you be so kind as to post more pics of your jigs?
    Thanks Colino
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Agreed with Barry, best fence to get is a biesmeyer fence

I agree with Cleo, if your saw is basically going to be used for one or two repetitive operations in making bee equipment, sleds/jigs can be made so one doesn't need to use the fence, in which case, it's not a top priority to find the best fence.
    Regards, Barry

At $235.00 the grizzly fence seems a bit pricey, but that's the one on my grizzly saw and I'm thrilled with how it performs. (By the way, that price doesn't include the rails)

VerySuperCoolTools.com has a Beismeyer style fence for about the same price. Allan Little(AskWoodMan) started this company to make this fence system. You have alot more options with his fence. Either one needs a rail to move the fence along. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    Cleo would you be so kind as to post more pics of your jigs?
    Don't have a lot of photos of them, , but I will include a couple for you.

Here is a picture of the sled that makes the box joints

Box Joint sled.jpg

Here is a picture of the jig that makes the rabbet for a deep super.

Deep rabbet pattern.jpg

This is the pattern for the side of a telescoping cover. It is pictured upside down to show the small piece of wood that fits into the miter grooves.

Pattern for top. Bottom to show miter anchor.jpg

Hope this helps.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Don't have a lot of photos of them, , but I will include a couple for you.
    Hope this helps.
    cchoganjr
    Cleo you're a genius. I made a jig like yours for 3/4" rabbets the one with the board over top for safety and it is pure genius. Not only does it keep your fingers out of the danger zone but it also holds the wood down so you get a nicer, more even rabbet. I can't thank you enough, and I would recommend everyone build one of these for making rabbets.
    Colino
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Barry taught me everything I know.

cchoganjr

The Gold Standard for aftermarket fences is Biesmeyer.
    That being said, I ran an Incra TS3 on my saw.
    Both are pricey, but well worth their weight in gold with time savings and accuracy.
    The TS3 is accurate to .001 inches, and repeatable results even after moving it.
    It was a little pain to set up originally, but I would get one again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    Okay, I am the first to admit I am the LEAST handy carpenter you ever met. I don't have a table saw and wouldn't know how to use one if I did. I hand saw everything. I do use patterns, though. I lay them on my wood and draw my cutting lines and then I use my hand saw to cut on the lines. So what I don't understand is patterns with table saws. Do you attach them to the saw somehow or what? (Yes, I KNOW that is a dumb question but I sincerely do not know the answer!)

Rusty (blushing!)
    I'm right there with you rusty.. I just bought an old Cman Table saw for $65 Friday. I'm tring to get a handle on the box joint jigs too.

DD
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

A Beesource guide to making box joints .....

http://www.beesource.com/files/boxjoint.pdf
    Graham

Please, spend some time calibrating those used saws. They are much more fun to use (and much safer) if they are setup properly...and you will learn a lot about the saw itself in the process.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast