Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What happened to all the nasty mean bees?

They have all came down to my house,,,,

All the ones up in Wisconsin that i know of moved into a buddy's house wall out in the country. His wife won't let me cut the wall open to take them!... Tell them to come back up here! We don't want anymore california arnold bees. How mean are they?

I kept some feral back bees back in the 80's in Alabama, we always called German Black Bees. They were smaller than Italians and would eat you butt up! Inspections were difficult at best because they ran a round like they were on speed. They made lots of honey and the comb was very white. I think mites and SHB did them in, I know in Northern Alabama there isn't any feral bees much anymore. You could cut a watermelon in the 80's and have to beat the honeybee's, yellowjacket's and hornets off, now a cut watermelon can lay there 2 days and you won't see many honeybees. That being said I WOULD LOVE to have some again!
    Tim Adams
    Member of Suncoast Beekeepers

About five years ago I had some ferals that were really mean they were a odd color they were a bright orange. I couldn't go out the back door of the house. the hive was about 75 feet from the house.they were fantastic honey producers the brood chambers were stacked 3 high. I wish I still had them. mean as hell Erik58

You are welcome to any mean queens that I may come across. I had to re-queen a hive last year. They would be head butting you fifty yards away. Pop the lid on them and it was instant black-out on your veil. They would follow me back to the house (200 yards away) and some would still be stuck to my clothing once inside.

As for all the layering of clothing/suits.... Its not too fun in 100 degree weather with 90% humidity. Your clothing couldn't be any more soaked (from the sweat) if you were to jump in a pond.

In my opinion, I want gentle bees that my young son enjoys spending time with me and the bees.

Blessed Farms
    I understand how you feel and can say they aren't for beginners. I don't generally like hot bees but some of my most productive bees have been a little hot. I just so happen to have a place to keep them away from people and domestic animals. I keep bees in Florida and we have to be really careful because of Africanized bees, we always requeen any feral bees. Thanks and let me know if you finds some!

Tim, there are plenty of feral bees in North Alabama. Most of them carry some of the old black bee genetics. The bees I have now are descended from one such feral queen.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Fusion power
    Glad to hear about feral bees over your way and maybe I'll find some. I'm starting some hives this year over in St Clair county at our farm and was hoping to find some.
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12