Re: Drone comb loaded with mites
Can you see commercial beekeepers going around their hives fortnightly and culling all the drone comb? Can you even see many hobbyists doing it? Since better than 99% of hives are commercial, and of the remaining less than 1% hobby hives just a tiny proportion would have serious methodical drone culling, I cannot believe drone culling is done to anything like sufficient extent to have an effect on Mite evolution. Not even a thousand years from now.
There is no harm at all in this hobbyist doing it on one TBH, culling drones is not evil, and his actions will not bring about the destruction of world beekeeping.
Just the time waste and difficulty of this procedure will ensure it will never be used to an extent big enough to outweigh other evolutionary pressures.
re the Amitraz in honey issue, no you cannot (according to the label) have honey supers on when using it. It's academic now because he says he will not treat the hive, but if he were to, it does not have honey supers on it. If there was surplus honey he could remove it prior to treatment, but store it incase the bees need it back during the treatment period.
The Apivar label says not to treat with supers on, that will save their butt should there ever be any legal challenge claiming someone was poisoned due to it's use. In practise, it was many years before Amitraz was ever detected in commercially harvested honey, due to it's short 1/2 life, this despite in reality hives do get treated with Amitraz with honey on, in it's legal, and illegal formulas. ( Formulae, for the spelling cops. ) I personally, would have no difficulty consuming honey harvested from a hive with Apivar in it, honey does not readily absorb Amitraz, but if any does get in, it will not last long. Would I supply such honey to someone else? No. Not that I think it would do any harm, but more just a breach of faith type thing, if I am ethical, eventually people will perceive me that way.
44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).