Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Drone comb loaded with mites

OH, I am a fan of both of the Ellises I find both of them very objective.

Duncan,

Yeah, but HIVE+ and I have been having a PM discussion about methods, so getting in to the papers from formal studies helps us decide which methods we can actually handle. Maybe I can't evaluate correlation between hygienic behavior and certain volatile compounds emitted by dead pupae, because I don't have GC/MS, but I can certainly build the cages from wood and hardware cloth used in this study by the same guys who did the heavy sugar study above.

"A strategy for using powdered sugar to reduce varroa populations in honey bee colonies"

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...tomologyfacpub

Determining varroa on capped brood is best done by sacrificing the brood, but that's what you do with the drone brood strategy anyway. Instead of feeding the brood to the chickens, evidently you drown them in alcohol to kill and dislodge mites (at least, that's what these researchers do with samples of adults). A mason jar of moonshine ... uh, I mean denatured alcohol is evidently good enough labware. Hey, drones either get kicked out to starve or die the first time they have sex. Maybe drowning in booze is not a bad option.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    Hey, drones either get kicked out to starve or die the first time they have sex. Maybe drowning in booze is not a bad option.
    I will drink to that.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

A perfect example of my point: the whole idea of "heavy" treatments with powdered sugar is a moot point. Experience already tells us powdered sugar is dusted on, Thomas Dowda's method perfected by Dennis Murrell. Always worked for me anywhere there are mites. Why? It removes mites from the colony when a mite count tells you the hive is approaching the economic threshold. Removing mites DECREASES the mite load. This combined with drone culling works anywhere. Brood is usually covered with bees anyway and the benefit exponentially out weighs the risk and as you pointed out drones are a dime a dozen.

Not saying stop reading journals, just don't blanket apply them without observing and adjusting. Environmental differenced require it.

Like I said, I'm more interested in the methods. Some of you guys already know these tricks but I'm scrambling to learn. Ferinstance, Mr. Bush mentioned an alcohol wash and I was not familiar with it. But one of the papers used the method, described what they were looking for, and now I know it is not some benevolent way of getting you bees all nice and clean and refreshed. But it gives the ability to count mites accurately on a sample of unfortunate bees, when otherwise you'd hardly spot any by just eyeballing frames.

If I want to study one of these factors that has not been looked at yet, I need to learn these methods.

Whatever I can learn hanging around this forum, or in bee class, or from a soon-to-be-assigned mentor is great as well. Fact is, I'm wallowing in this stuff and can't wait for mid-April when we pick up our nucs. Sorry, Duncan, I can't learn from my bees yet 'cause all I got is a couple of empty 8-frame hives. So instead I'm hitting the books, etc, and getting the stuff ready to go. Really pretty paint job on my supers, though.

Actually someone else mentioned an alcohol wash. I countered with a sugar shake... I don't like killing bees on purpose...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Actually someone else mentioned an alcohol wash. I countered with a sugar shake... I don't like killing bees on purpose...
    Looking back, I believe you "mentioned" alcohol wash, but that mention was that you had not done it.

If I freeze drone brood I will have already done the murder ... might as well count the mites. I don't have chickens or a fish pond as some have suggested, and the last time I tried feeding bark beetle larvae to the birds, the ants got 'em first.

Sorry I assumed.....But you are in for a fascinating ride. Good luck and be ready to report your observations because any one of us can learn something new, you may be the one who sees something I did not. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Trying to attach a photo we took of mite infested drone brood.
    IMG_2653varroa.jpg
    Dan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234