Default more drones than normal

I went in this weekend and the queen and colony seem to be doing well. not much honey but they went through a 2 gallon bucket of syrup in a week so I'll just keep feeding them. I did notice something, there are a lot more drones than I've come accustom to seeing. I'm also finding drones around the yard unable to fly because their wings seem damaged. Any insight you might provide will be much appreciated.

Default Re: more drones than normal

Quote Originally Posted by kirghizstan View Post
    I went in this weekend and the queen and colony seem to be doing well. not much honey but they went through a 2 gallon bucket of syrup in a week so I'll just keep feeding them. I did notice something, there are a lot more drones than I've come accustom to seeing. I'm also finding drones around the yard unable to fly because their wings seem damaged. Any insight you might provide will be much appreciated.
    The bees could be making more drones to compensate for the ones that are defective. There could also be a laying worker or a drone-laying queen. Varroa mites like drone pupae better than workers, so they could have deformed wing virus or some of the other viruses caused by varroa.

1) look for young worker brood. If you don't find it you have a problem.

2) do a varroa test. You probably need to treat quite soon.

A hive with a virgin that is getting ready to mate, also a hive preparing to swarm or has swarmed may make and attract drones, at least not kick them out when other hives are.

I strong hive with lots of resources will also make some drones and let drone stay.

>unable to fly because their wings seem damaged. Any insight you might provide will be much appreciated.

Mites.

What's normal?

Just to clarify, i'm finding these drones with damaged wings 20-30 feet away from the hive. it isn't a lot, just a few but seems random and thought i would put it out there with the increase in drone population I'm seeing.

The percentage of drones varies by the strength of the hive, the available resources, the time of year and the current goals of the colony. There isn't really a right number, but probably there is a right number for a particular set of circumstances. A sudden change in the number of drones is likely due to a change in one of the above criteria. And, of course, if you end up queenless or with a drone laying queen you will have nothing but drone brood...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF