Default How many full honey bars going into a Montana winter?

This is my first top bar hive. Started them late March. They are doing well and filling their hive nicely. I just added four more bars two days ago. Leaving only one empty bar space for the hive. Wondering how many bars I should send them into winter with. I am reluctant to harvest honey at this time, as I want them to have plenty to get through their first Montana winter. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Default Re: How many full honey bars going into a Montana winter?

Weigh one of your honey bars, and maybe a few bars with just a honey band, use that as a rough calculation for the total weight of honey in your hive. Check with other local beeks to see what they overwinter with, and adjust/plan accordingly.

It's probably easiest to do this by counting bars of bees and bars of honey. I would shoot for 1 1/2 bars of honey per bar of bees. No more than two bars of honey per bar of bees. No less than one bar of honey per bar of bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you both