Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Biggest mistake ?

You guys are making me feel a WHOLE lot better about myself.

1. Thinking I knew what I was doing.....

2. Catching the cab of my truck on fire with my smoker.....

3. Failing to treat soon enough in late summer.... Went from 21 down to 5 hives...

Caught a swarm on Labor Day one hour before I was supposed to be at my in-laws house. Quickly hived them in a nuc, set it in the main bee yard, put a hive top feeder on and headed to the in-laws house. Came home a couple house later, the swarm left and the unattended feeder set off a robbing frenzy. Three days of wet sheets to get it stopped, thousands and housands of dead bees.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCEOD View Post
    I lost 2 out of my 4 hives last year due to leaving the queen excluder on with 2 supers above, when the cluster moved up the queens were lost... this year only using the QE for those occasions when it might be needed. The learning continues...
    Paint the outer edge of your QE a bright color (like fluorescent pink) that is not used in any of your equipment. This way you can just take a quick glance around the yard and see if you have any on the hives.

Underestimating the power of v destructor to destroy an apiary...

Or EFB for that matter, I have seen that turn a friends strong apiary to a near total loss

Last year while doing a normal inspection I dropped a frame full of bees on the ground and you guessed it the queen was on it and got crushed I let the hive raise a new queen but she was lost on the mating flight the hive dwindled and almost died by the time I got another queen on the positive side the brood break really helped with the mite load

Not treating (thinking treatment-free would work for a migratory operation) would be my biggest mistake. I've lost many, many hives (overwhelming majority) for not treating.

Believing a 4th generation beekeeper when he said that mites where killing 90 percent of the hives, when it turned out to be CCD. Hence, my cure for CCD will cost you 64,000 dollars, cuz that is what I figure it cost me to solve it.

Crazy Roland

Making a bunch of bee candy blocks and putting them on my hives with not enough ventilation. They dissolved in the center and glopped syrup down on my bees. Not a good year.

JC

Grafting on the waxing moon-- the queens were soo big they could not back into the cells!

Trying to put a hive back together that a bear had turned over,i must have scared him off as i drove up,i did not have proper equipment with me.I put a fence around the bees after that.

www.poorvalleybeefarm.com

Too many to count. I don't know which one would be the worst. Some of the scariest were things that set off a robbing frenzy. If you have never seen one, you can't grasp how out of control they are...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My biggest mistake? You only want one? lol

The biggest I imagine was not being completely prepared before the onset of live removals (swarm and void) and beekeeping when I first started. A few unplanned late night trips to the local big box stores is not fun. Playing "catch up" is not top on my priority list.
    However, I am a quick learner. FULLY prepared now.

So far, my biggest first-year mistake was treating according to the calendar and not the mite count. Naturally, it cost me my best hive.

Second worst is underestimating equipment needs.

Third is dropping a frame full of bees on my husband.
    2013, 7 hives, T

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    FULLY prepared now.
    HA! I keep thinking that too...
    The thing is, if you are caught unprepared again, It probably just means it is a good year.

Now that I think about it, one of the more exciting ones was shaking a swarm down the back of my neck. I did not expect it to swing like that... and, as we all know, swarms are docile, so I wasn't wearing any equipment... and I was at the top of a 20' ladder...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    HA! I keep thinking that too...
    The thing is, if you are caught unprepared again, It probably just means it is a good year.
    I have so much spare equipment right now Lauri, it would have to be an EPIC year if I get to the point that I'm unprepared! lol
    Honestly, I went overboard. But, I have it.

Let's hope (with this current weather) it's a good year for all of us.

Biggest mistake is putting my bee's priorities ahead of my wife's priorities. Not a good idea.

Biggest mistake?, starting to keep bee's in the first place, it's like an addiction, I can't get enough of them!!!

Sad Re: Biggest mistake ?

1- Underestimating the power of Varroa.

2- Forgetting my .20 gauge in the warehouse and convincing myself I could dispatch a skunk with a tree branch; I did, but the cab of my truck was never the same. I had to explain that dumb idea to lots of folks.