Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Biggest mistake ?

So what's your biggest mistake you have made so far as a beekeeper.
    For me I'd have to say open feeding my nucs in the nuc yard in mid summer .
    I had all the bees on my 12 acres come to the feeder then after 2 days started robbing everything in site {13 nucs} it look like a alfred Hitchcock movie . Took me the rest of the year to get them back up to weight and still some felt lite going in to winter. And I have to move my nuc yard away from the house now to keep the peace with the wife she was not real happy with that many PO bees.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Biggest mistake ?

Believing I could go right into Treatment-Free Beekeeping starting out.
    Maybe one day, but for now I need to treat.

Believing that someone selling you something is telling the complete and honest truth? Not!

Biggest mistake, my my so many to choose from, I would have to say it was last year in October when I treated my hives for mites later in the season than I normally do, I should have had my butt kicked.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

I lost 2 out of my 4 hives last year due to leaving the queen excluder on with 2 supers above, when the cluster moved up the queens were lost... this year only using the QE for those occasions when it might be needed. The learning continues...

My biggest mistake was starting out with one hive.

There are a lot of them.
    Leaving the top off of a hive with top bars fully exposed, and discovering it on the following week's inspection.
    Fortunately a flow was on, and there was no rain that week, so the colony made it just fine. My lesson in not getting in a big hurry.
    To everything there is a season....

Fun thread. As far as beekeeping, mine was probably not feeding in the late winter of year one. I was naive to think the bees would build up quickly on their own. As a result, I had several people wait too long for me to get them a hive, and they went elsewhere. Also in my second spring I was apprehensive about grafting queens, despite having read plenty and knowing what to do. So I put it off several months. This of course put off making splits and nucs as early as I could have. Oh and then there was the inattention to swarming which caused me to lose swarms off at least three of my biggest hives, setting them back on honey production.

On a different note, I learned a lot with bee removals. I lost several colonies in transit due to overheating. I lost several more (absconds) once I got them home due to not feeding to help them settle in. Oh and lost a few that succumbed to SHB due to the stress of the move.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Quote Originally Posted by USMCEOD View Post
    I lost 2 out of my 4 hives last year due to leaving the queen excluder on with 2 supers above, when the cluster moved up the queens were lost... this year only using the QE for those occasions when it might be needed. The learning continues...
    I wish they would ban the darn things or include somekind of letter or stamping on the frame. We had a new beekeeper almost loose her hives the same way, luckily she asked me to come visit before fall just to make sure all was good. I asked her why she had the excluder on and she said was scared to kill the queen and wanted to keep her in the bottom box to avoid accidents. ;-)

My worst mistake....crushing a queen. They made a pretty good replacement though.

I did a cutout once after making a great bee vac box using a hive body with frames in place. The 2" added bottom piece was equipped with a hole for the bee vac hose and a gate for closing. The top added piece was screened on bottom, removable top lid, and a hole between them for the shop vac. I was in the middle of the cutout and during a short break asked a guy helping if he wanted to see the bees. I started to take off the top lid to inspect through the screen and found bees in that top between the lid and the screen, about a 2" space. I mistakenly reversed the hoses, being my first time using it. Most of the bees didn't get away, but I didn't have my suit on at that moment and the one's that did get out were very mad at me and I didn't get my suit on fast enough.

Not sure if that's my biggest mistake, but very much remembered.

Funny, I just wrote a post last week on my facebook page about this topic:

If I could recommend ONE thing for beekeepers to improve the health of their hives, it would be to get rid of ANY frames that have come from unknown sources. Get new frames and allow the bees to draw them out with clean comb.
    I'm not saying every frame is bad, but why take the chance?
    I left them at first and struggled...until I got rid of them. Beekeeping and overwintering since then has been effortless in comparison. I used them for swarm traps..but if I left the swarm on them to grow, they didn't do near as well as those swarms that shaken immediatly onto clean or new frames. You can't tell by just looking at them.

My beeyard now has NO comb from any other apiary. I strongly believe It is one of the reasons I have the success I do. Don't confuse OLD comb with CONTAMINATED comb. They are two completly different things. It is the exposures to accumulative toxins that is the problem, not the age of the comb.
    Comb exposed to potential pathogens, bacterial infections, pesticides's, fungicides and residual from treatments can be a slow grade chronic drain on your hives vigor.
    Requeening with local hardy genetics would be my next advise.

But if you have a chronically toxic environment, better queens will not be able to overcome that.

If you have had trouble keeping your hives in a healthy sustainable state year after year, consider changing out the frames of comb if they have come from an unknown apiary.
    It might not be the ONLY problem, but could be a significant contributing factor.

Last edited by Lauri; 01-26-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Biggest latest mistake was leaving 400 some protein patties in cardboard boxes under a tarp on a pallet outdoors unattended for 6 week. Some varmint enjoyed a bunch. Must have been good ones.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Buying 10 nucs from a guy 200 miles from here before I understood what a nuc really should look like. Turns out they were what we call "nucages". A package dumped into a box with a frame or two of honey and questionable brood. Totally disheartening, not to mention expensive, loss of all of them.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Mistakes? I've made a few. The biggest was probably leaving freshly harvested supers outside the house and not 100% bee tight. Several hours later under the cover of darkness I retrieved nicely cleaned out supers.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Mistakes? I've made a few. The biggest was probably leaving freshly harvested supers outside the house and not 100% bee tight. Several hours later under the cover of darkness I retrieved nicely cleaned out supers.
    That's like throwing out capping's in the trashcan by the back door. Not smart in AUG.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Leaving for a two month job at the beginning of swarm season, 90% swarm rate including splits.

my first hive from a package-when i released the queen on day 3, i thought i saw her fly off, but i wasn't sure. i checked on day 10 looking for eggs. didn't see any, so i ordered a new queen, only to have her balled 4 days later. seems i had a queen after all.

When SHBs first arrived in Florida I thought they couldn't be THAT much of a deal so I read next to nothing about them and went blissfully about things just the way I always had--until the day I opened my first slimed hive. Talk about a hard, hard lesson! I completely lost 2 and all that was left of 4 others that had been big, booming hives were enough clean frames to make some nucs.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I was pulling supers in July for the first time and my smoker went out when I got to my 4th hive. Instead of restarting it, I decided like a dummy to go without and here's a couple of pictures of what it looked like. Needless to say, I have since studied the FatBeeMan's video at length on how to properly start a smoker and never go into a hive without a lit smoker.

no-smoker.jpgno-smoker-2.jpg
    Started beekeeping in 2013 and having a blast with my 9 small cell hives!!

Reminder Re: Biggest mistake ?

I know I have made my fair share of mistakes.

Last year I moved some hives and put some screen over the entrances so no bees would get out during the 30 min trip. I placed the hive and checked some other hive of mine in the same yard then left. I forgot to remove the screen for several days and when I went back to check the hive again I could hardly believe I did such a stupid thing not to mention almost killing those hives. Only 2 hives thank god.

I hope I can keep my mistakes to a minimum in the future.

I do know however that I have learned so many valuable things from some of my mistakes.