Hybrid View

Default Biggest mistake ?

So what's your biggest mistake you have made so far as a beekeeper.
    For me I'd have to say open feeding my nucs in the nuc yard in mid summer .
    I had all the bees on my 12 acres come to the feeder then after 2 days started robbing everything in site {13 nucs} it look like a alfred Hitchcock movie . Took me the rest of the year to get them back up to weight and still some felt lite going in to winter. And I have to move my nuc yard away from the house now to keep the peace with the wife she was not real happy with that many PO bees.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Biggest mistake ?

Believing I could go right into Treatment-Free Beekeeping starting out.
    Maybe one day, but for now I need to treat.

Believing that someone selling you something is telling the complete and honest truth? Not!

Biggest mistake, my my so many to choose from, I would have to say it was last year in October when I treated my hives for mites later in the season than I normally do, I should have had my butt kicked.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I lost 2 out of my 4 hives last year due to leaving the queen excluder on with 2 supers above, when the cluster moved up the queens were lost... this year only using the QE for those occasions when it might be needed. The learning continues...

Quote Originally Posted by USMCEOD View Post
    I lost 2 out of my 4 hives last year due to leaving the queen excluder on with 2 supers above, when the cluster moved up the queens were lost... this year only using the QE for those occasions when it might be needed. The learning continues...
    I wish they would ban the darn things or include somekind of letter or stamping on the frame. We had a new beekeeper almost loose her hives the same way, luckily she asked me to come visit before fall just to make sure all was good. I asked her why she had the excluder on and she said was scared to kill the queen and wanted to keep her in the bottom box to avoid accidents. ;-)

My worst mistake....crushing a queen. They made a pretty good replacement though.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCEOD View Post
    Paint the outer edge of your QE a bright color (like fluorescent pink) that is not used in any of your equipment. This way you can just take a quick glance around the yard and see if you have any on the hives.

My biggest mistake was starting out with one hive.

There are a lot of them.
    Leaving the top off of a hive with top bars fully exposed, and discovering it on the following week's inspection.
    Fortunately a flow was on, and there was no rain that week, so the colony made it just fine. My lesson in not getting in a big hurry.
    To everything there is a season....

Fun thread. As far as beekeeping, mine was probably not feeding in the late winter of year one. I was naive to think the bees would build up quickly on their own. As a result, I had several people wait too long for me to get them a hive, and they went elsewhere. Also in my second spring I was apprehensive about grafting queens, despite having read plenty and knowing what to do. So I put it off several months. This of course put off making splits and nucs as early as I could have. Oh and then there was the inattention to swarming which caused me to lose swarms off at least three of my biggest hives, setting them back on honey production.

On a different note, I learned a lot with bee removals. I lost several colonies in transit due to overheating. I lost several more (absconds) once I got them home due to not feeding to help them settle in. Oh and lost a few that succumbed to SHB due to the stress of the move.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g