Thread: Hat Veil Combo

Default Hat Veil Combo

Any insight on the difference in plastic and ventilated mesh hats (helmets)?
    Any insight on veil types and what works best for you and why?
    Where do you get yours and why?

looking at the different options at http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...productInfo/2/
    and http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...y/page133.html

Default Re: Hat Veil Combo

I own CL-135 vented white helmet and CL-105 square veil w/string. They work perfectly fine as long as you make sure you suit up in a way the bees can't get in under the string.

Great inexpensive option but I've also used an ultrabreeze jacket and that's imo as good as it gets. For the money an inexpensive mann lake set up like mine works very well but there are times when I have to go in under less than ideal conditions and I wish I had the ultrabreeze (which is now on order).

whatever you do...avoid solid plastic helmets, they are HOT!, buy the mesh or go to the hat store and buy a natural mesh hat

veils I like the square/trapezoid type in a tie veil or zipper upper. Full suit is a little too much for me. Kelleys is close by, they sow most of their veils and suits onsite. They are good quality, if anything comes undone they fix it onsite.

Ultrabreeze is a top end ventilated suit, but pricy. The standard veils work quite well, just don't get the cheapo chinese versions the materials arn't the greatest, the mesh fabric is rough.
    Last edited by burns375; 01-26-2014 at 01:07 PM.

I just got the white plastic ventillated helmet Cl130 and the CL122 veil.

The Clear View Veil is the finest veil available IMHO. I have use them all over the years, but this veil with a mesh hat is a great combo. I have several, tie down and zipped styles, they are all superb. The inspectors jacket with the zipped Clear View is a great combo. Brushy Mountain carries this veil.

I have a plastic helmet with the small rectangle vents on the side. It is from Mann Lake and was the cheapest one. Well I have a big head (LOL) and that allows the edge of my head to be very close to the vents. Got stung 14 times through those small rectangle holes on the first removal I did. They were smaller blackish bees and very aggressive (VERY AGGRESSIVE) and were pushing there tails end first into those squares.

Have been around Russians and my mutts and do not think they can do that.

So just a heads up, now use a old bullard helmet with a wide brim with the Mann suit instead, or a cap under my mosquito jacket and hood.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

mosquito jacket?

Somewhere I have a helmet that I bought from Walter T. Kelley back in 1974... I haven't worn it in two decades... I prefer the English style hood (sometimes called "fencing mask" style). The helmet is ungainly to haul around, and harder to get on and off and doesn't fold flat. The English style hood is much more convenient.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have an ultra breeze for going into hives,
    but I also have a mesh helmet and pocket veil for when I mow or need to work in shed right next to bees, and I love it. I use it all the time.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF