Big Grin Wax containing poisons and other goodies?

I was looking at frames today and thinking about the 'dangers' of adding my own wax. Has anyone looked at the shelf life of most of the medicines? The shelf life for one is reduced once the chemical is used. Two, most of the chemicals are very heat sensitive. If you melt the wax at around 144 degrees, you kill all of the antibiotics. Mites would be destroyed and all nozema dies around 120 degrees. Has anyone done any actual research that can be pointed out to show otherwise to this? Just curiou. Also, can you put too much wax on plastic frames? Real answers only, please.

Default Re: Wax containing poisons and other goodies?

yeah people have done research, google it. Wax absorbs and retains some classes of pesticides, rarely sees uv light to break down some classes.

Too much wax....1" would be too thick... 1/64"-1/32" would be just fine. better to be too thick than none at all avoid filling in the depressions flat...a foam brush works well

Thanks for the info. Do you or anyone know by chance the thought process behind the frame design for the langstroth frames? I'm talking about the bottom part of the frame where it narrows? It seems like a lot of uneccessary cuts, but I am new to beekeeping. I know in the British frames, they are one length. If weight is the issue, does it really matter? You're talking ounces.

Does wax absorb antibiotics? Seems like you'd have to use quite a lot of an antibiotics to find it in the beeswax of comb.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Does wax absorb antibiotics? Seems like you'd have to use quite a lot of an antibiotics to find it in the beeswax of comb.
    I don't know...I was thinking in the realm of all chemicals (foreign substances)... mainly pesticides

The side bar narrows so they can be pulled apart with greater ease otherwise propolis becomes an issue.

There were research studies by Penn State (Maryann Frazier et al) and an article by Jennifer Berry referring to those studies in Bee Culture on that topic.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF