Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop accident!

Default Shop accident!

Hello everybody,
    Had a little mishap in the shop today. I was working with the router, making hive parts. I'll send a pic of my handiwork later. Anyhoo, as I'm running 3/4" X 3/4" strips through the router, I was nearly halfway done, and the nice, sharp, flying, spinning, shiny router bit grabbed the piece out of my hand just as I began pressing downward. My now-vulnerable fingertip (of my right hand) was now firmly applied to the above described running router bit blades. Since I am blessed with the dazzling reflexes of an arthritic tree sloth, I did not manage to come away unscathed. My finger got...well...hurt? CUT? nicked? Ah yes, SHREDDED is the word. ;-) Yeah, well, I got the equipment shut down and yelled at my little brother to bring my MP3 player inside and I left the shop, leaving a trail of precious life-supporting DNA, all the way to the house. I yelled some nonsense about needing to go to the hospital or get stitched up. Well, we got myself somwhat cleaned up and rinsed up/out, with cold water, peroxide and all, and finally got a good look at it. HEY!!! Not so bad, but still worthy of at least my slightest attentions. It hurt. Ouch. Ah well. Just a finger...still have 9 whole ones left. So it was still bleeding a bit, and we have a home remedy to stop bleeding...pack the wound with cayenne pepper powder. And it does work, for those possible skeptics. It'll burn a little at first, but soon subsides and all is well. So I plunged my unfortunate, now less-than-dextrous, fingerous extremity into a bowl that contained a generous amount of wonderful healing cayenne. I was smartly holding it at nearly face level, and, after dipping and packing it in, proceeded to give my finger (bowl of pepper still at same position) a mightily generous puff to get rid of excess pepper powder. ***MISTAKE!*** Most of the remaining pepper from the bowl blew directly into my eyes!!! Well, I thought nearly losing a finger was bad, but this was 100 times worse, seriously. Kinda forgot about my finger. I, well, didn't react too greatly, mildly, painlessly, whatever. The next moments on earth seemd to be my last. Scenes of my life flashed before me...well, all that to say, be careful!

And yes, this all actually happened to ME, within the last 2 hours.

Default Re: Shop accident!

Ya coulda just said 'I cut my finger" and saved a lot of typing! But the bit about pepper in the eye is priceless! Glad you survived another life lesson!
    Regards, Barry

One of my greatest fears in woodworking. The other is losing an eyeball to flying parts.

Glad you weren't hurt too bad!

Also, I've never heard of peppering a wound like that. Folks in Wyoming must be tougher.
    Try it. What could happen?

Glad that you made it out alive and were still able to teach all of us a lesson on first aid using cayenne!
    Donny

Ben- is this your way of telling me my new woodenware is going to have a little blood on it and smell like pepper? All kidding aside, glad it wasn't worse. I once re-wired a dryer in a damp basement only to realize when I went to flip the breaker back on that it was on. Hard to believe we survive childhood and adulthood as guys since we are prone to so many stories like this.

Nope, the pepper and blood all was in the house. Very funny, hopefully this isn't a loss of professionalism.

Now I don't feel so bad about dropping my lighter in my smoker and having it blow up on me. I'm glad you're ok.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

What ever happened to duct tape and back to work, or you're fired.

Glad you're OK!

Nice story, I got a visual through the whole thing. Just like a movie.
    I'm thinking cayenne and honey would have made a good poultice. Keep it from getting airborn too. If you didn't use it all you could just cook a ham and glaze it with the rest.

Don't forget the propolis and everclear tincher.

You're probably going to need a new keyboard after this. You just don't know it yet.
    Make sure your tetanus is up to date. Bee sting therapy doesn't count.

Photos?

Sure thing!

Cleaned finger:
    Picture 001.jpg

Face, 10 minutes after the pepper treatment (looks great, eh ); also includes peppered fingertip in lower left corner of pic:
    Picture 005.jpg

OUCH! That is going to hurt tomorrow!
    You need to change your handle to HandsomeWesternBeeKeeper

Good job Ben. There are a lot of nerve endings in fingers, that must have stung. You were lucky. I am scared of my power tools.

I am glad you were fortunate to walk away without being more seriously injured. A good thought to remember for woodworking is not to say "If it happens", but to say "When it happens". Keeping that in my mind has made me rethink many of our shop procedures and to keep those safety glasses on when otherwise I might not have.

Yes I always need to be careful when I work on my shop smith because I am pressing the wood against the spin, and my "safety" sticks that I use to keep my hands away from the spinning blade tend to force me to put too much pressure in the direction of the spinning blade. I almost slipped 1 time when the pressure gave way and my hand ventured too close to the blade.

Some safety things I learned is to not have the blade sticking up above the piece of wood so that I don't have that much blade to slip into if I make a mistake and under estimate my strength.
    Some other safety tips are to not wear gloves when working on that equipment as the fabric may get caught up in the rotation and cause - er... issues.

Better Luck next time.

Alright, I'm almost certain WesternBeekeeper is the same guy that told the Looney Toon story of trying to get some hives off the roof of a building with a makeshift block and tackle. It went something like: 600 lb load of hives yanks 150 lb man off the ground, carrying him to the roof where he hits his head on the pulley and smashes his hand, only to fall back to the ground and land in the sticky, stinging pile of smashes hives.

Now when he posted that I laughed hysterically and commented that I hoped he was kidding and just made up a good story. Never heard back and confirmation. But now we have photos of evidence of this story! Dang man, be careful! I still want to know, was the rooftop hives also a true story?
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Glad to hear you didn't lose a finger.

Within the last year I heard about using cayenne pepper to stop bleeding. Some people apparently keep it in the first aid kit. Also, read that calcium bentonite clay can be used to stop bleeding. Use it in powder form.

What's that white stuff on the finger end? Bone? If bone, you should probably have it closed up by a doc.

Gotta tell this story......years ago we had a construction guy come to install a patio door for us. He was measuring the window area and I was watching him never noticing how many fingers and parts of fingers he was missing (wooo!) until he mentioned it. I think he thought I noticed that.

My dad caught a small chunk of wood with his glasses while working with a saw. The lens shattered and peppered his eye and face. He was lucky he didn't lose an eye.

Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    Also, I've never heard of peppering a wound like that. Folks in Wyoming must be tougher.
    As for the pepper in the wound part, and myself being a nurse, that just screams infection to me! Would I do that now? No, so maybe I'm not as tough but however I commend you for doing it and having it work. (I did however put a couple stitches in my own thumb at the age of 14.. with fishing line... after I pulled the razor blade out of the bone in my thumb. Not one of my brighter moments looking back at it ) I will admit that I was cracking up while reading this. Not at your misfortune of course because it could've been much worse really fast. I was laughing at the creativity in how you described the sequence of events. Thanks for sharing and I do hope you have safer experiences from here on out!