Thread: Royalty Hives?

Default Royalty Hives?

Anybody seen or have experience with these guys? http://royaltyhives.com/royalty/

Default Re: Royalty Hives?

looks kinda complicated to me

Quote Originally Posted by NewJoe View Post
    looks kinda complicated to me
    Sure does. Im not sure how you'de keep the boxes from falling apart and crashing on your toes.

I saw a live demo. The purpose was for people who are disabled.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

They had one set up at the Bluegrass bee school last year. It was actually a pretty neat concept. It is designed for those that are unable to lift hive bodies but want to keep bees.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

I saw those, but couldn't figure out why you would have a vertical hive that rotated down to horizontal, when you could just start out with a horizontal hive to begin with. Cheaper, simpler, and I think less disruptive to the colony.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The purpose was for people who are disabled.
    It seems like a fantastic idea, but I'm not sure I get the execution. It doesn't seem like the hive at the right height for using a wheelchair, and someone who can't even lift hive bodies of brood is likely to have problems with the cranking, twisting, and range of motion. IMO, running top bars or nucs/singles on a raised hive stand accomplishes the same basic thing. AND, Someone with those specific impairments often has a person to assist them with the tasks the rotatable hive is supposed to eliminate.

I'm not trying to be hypercritical. As a disabled person I love what they're doing. Unfortunately, I lack the imagination to see how this solution could fit my needs.

But I love it if it makes beekeeping more accessible.
    2013, 7 hives, T

>but couldn't figure out why you would have a vertical hive that rotated down to horizontal, when you could just start out with a horizontal hive to begin with.

There are lot of people who believe bees can't move horizontally and that they won't winter horizontally. My guess is that's why they thought it needed to be vertical.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF