Default walnut top bar hive

Hello all. new guy here can i use walnut for the top bar. my fitst choice is red cedar but ran out of it. looking to have some cedar milled up and possibly some walnut. what are your thoughts. thank you and have a great day.

Default Re: walnut top bar hive

I would choose a different wood - not walnut. Walnut has "juglone" that is toxic to some creatures, including some insects according to Wikipedia. It may not affect bees, but why risk it?
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Cedar also has insect repelling properties......that said I have caught many swarms out of cedar. Walnut would be a really nice anything. Are you going to finish it out to were you can still see the wood?

Isn't walnut pretty heavy. I honestly wouldn't be too worried about the woods effect on bees. I know the outer husk around the nut shell is poisonous, it has a growth inhibitor that doesn't allow plants to grow. ie don't put in garden or compost

While I can't speak to the effect on walnut to bees I would think it's not an issue. You're not using the bark and it's negative effect on us is countered by using a mask when cutting/sanding. It is an irritant to some and I've read before excessive breathing of the particles can cause some cause of cancer (this is true of many woods) though I can't think of it off the top of my head.

There are different types of walnut but it's not a seriously heavy hardwood though it will obviously far outweigh a pine body.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has made one.

Why walnut? If for looks than I would think you could create quite a looker of a hive, if for another reason I'm not sure the cost outweighs the gains.

Well generally speaking. Local red cedar is abundant. but i ran out of rough sawn local red cedar. i am going to be cutting down a very lg. trunk its already been topped. there is a guy in the next ttown away hes pretty reasonable lookint to get him to mill it up for me. ya red cedar is my fav. but wife is after me to take out the walnut thats kinda a pia its been trimmed a bunch to close to the house. so i am going to get him to mill it up as well. would be kinda neat for a top bar.

That's awesome. I would love to do something similar (milling my own trees).

Sell the walnut, buy some cedar and pocket the difference!