Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: For those who build your own, which table saw?

>Nothing dangerous at all.

I would never use that phrase to describe anything about a table saw...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The Model # is 113-240421. The owner went out and measured the arbor past the blade. He said it was a little over 1 inch. He said the saw is in good working order.
    So for $75 and a 30 min. Drive I think I'm gonna take a chance on it. Unless anyone knows of any glaring problems with this model.
    I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it... It's only a $75 table saw and all I want it to do is make hive equipment.

Thanks for all the input! I almost bit on a good little $270 general purpose new saw, but it would not have served my intentions as well as this $75 saw. (hopefully)
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Looking at Sears site, the 113-240421 tablesaw is a 10" direct drive saw, but does use an induction motor (the starting capacitor is an available spare part). If you want the owner's manual Sears will sell one for $6.29.

Should be fine - at least start it up to see if there is excessive vibration.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
    The Model # is 113-240421. The owner went out and measured the arbor past the blade. He said it was a little over 1 inch.
    That seems a tad short to me. The arbor needs to hold a blade backing plate/bushing (1/4"), 3/4" dado blades, another blade backing plate/bushing (1/4"), and the nut (3/8"). That should be a total of about 1-5/8" min. If it's 1" from a mounted blade, you'll be about 3/8" short. That's my math from here, sitting in my office!

Now that I think about it, I added the blade stabilizers/bushings. I guess one doesn't have to use them, but I always have.

http://www.midwesttechnology.com/pro...C%252d001.html
    Last edited by Barry; 01-22-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Regards, Barry

I would think that measuring from the already mounted blade, either the bushing closest to the motor is already mounted and accounted for, or the arbor is manufactured to have an integral bushing. The nut on my Craftsman saw is 5/16".
    Graham

OK Graham, do the math! I added up the parts to the outside of the blade only, using the 1" reported amount left. OK, I was off a 1//16"! But one doesn't have to use the bushing on the nut side of the blades. Do you on yours?
    Regards, Barry

dawg, you probably need to look in the 10" size saw range. make sure that your design can accommodate the width of the dado and the extra HP the dado requires. just took a look at a Makita 8.5" job site 'portable;' I have, thinking it could do the job and it would really be pushing it and I would have to fabricate a custom width plate for the 3/4 in need. I am looking for an old saw that I will setup for a 10 dado blade and leave it bee and use the other for cutting.

Well, I admit that I substituted a large washer that I got from Tractor Supply for the outer bushing. The washer is thinner than the factory bushing, and I can get the 3/4" dado stack, the washer and the nut fully threaded - but there is no thread to spare. I haven't had any problem with this arrangement. When I use a normal blade I go back to the factory bushing.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, as long as the miter gauge is between the blade and fence, I don't see an issue with this.
    If you don't align the saw and have a sharp blade you shouldn't use it. That being said the best thing to do is use double sided tape and a piece of fine sand paper and stick it to the face of the miter to keep the work from shifting. And the ultimate thing to do is clamp the wood to the miter face. The stop block could be a spacer on the fence or a roller bearing mounted in the opposite miter groove. What is important is that the stop block is a head of the blade and the surface that butts up to the stop block is square to the miter. If you clap your workpiece to the miter and it isn't square the surface will pull away from the stop block or it will jam and you will not be able to feed the board into the blade. What is dangerous is carelessness. If you are careless you shouldn't operate machinery. Wouldn't that relieve a lot of traffic accidents.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    The washer is thinner than the factory bushing, and I can get the 3/4" dado stack, the washer and the nut fully threaded - but there is no thread to spare.
    Use an adjustable dado and you don't have to worry about the supporting washers.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If you don't align the saw and have a sharp blade you shouldn't use it.
    One shouldn't be using the saw period if it is that bad.

That being said the best thing to do is use double sided tape and a piece of fine sand paper and stick it to the face of the miter to keep the work from shifting.
    I find the pressure applied to the workpiece with my hands is quite adequate. If it's long and narrow, I apply pressure to the fence as most of the workpiece is in contact with it. If it is short and wide, I apply pressure to the miter gauge. I think this procedure is being overly analyzed. In my 35+ years of working on tablesaws for a living, I've never once had an incident doing this.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Use an adjustable dado and you don't have to worry about the supporting washers.
    Many woodworkers find that adjustable dado units are inferior to a stacked dado set.

If I am not mistaken, Ace has offered in other threads to sell his adjustable dado. Perhaps he wishes to use the proceeds to buy a stacked dado set?
    Graham

That seems a tad short to me. The arbor needs to hold a blade backing plate/bushing (1/4"), 3/4" dado blades, another blade backing plate/bushing (1/4"), and the nut (3/8"). That should be a total of about 1-5/8" min. If it's 1" from a mounted blade, you'll be about 3/8" short. That's my math from here, sitting in my office!

http://www.midwesttechnology.com/pro...C%252d001.html
    Thanks for your help, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I go look at the saw.
    Several people have recommended the old 113 saws, would the arbor on this one be different? The owner did not give an exact measurement on the arbor just 'a little over an inch', when I go look at the saw Friday I should have about 1 5/8 distance from the mounted blade?
    Also, if he doesn't have a dado plate molding is there a work around? Sears website says they are discontinued.
    Thanks

Very happy with my Bosch portable table saw
    Dan

You don't need a plate to use a dado blade if you build a sled as several posts have recommended.
    Graham

You don't need a plate to use a dado blade if you build a sled as several posts have recommended.
    Is there a source or plans for these sleds and jigs?
    I'm not a rookie to woodworking, but I am a total newbie to table saws. Luckily I have an uncle with many years experience only an hour a way. I have a good stock of assembled equipment, so I'm in no hurry. I'm not planning on building anything till I get some instruction and practice.
    Thanks

The details of a sled or jig will vary depending on what component you are cutting and the spacing of the miter slots on your saw table. Lots of links to photos of sleds by Ross in this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...king-equipment

And also this longer thread with photo contributions from multiple members:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ngers-question

You can find more threads with photos by doing an image search of Beesource. Paste this phrase into a regular Google search box:
    sled site:beesource.com

Then click the "Image" tab. Try modifying the search word "sled" to "jig" for more.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
    Also, if he doesn't have a dado plate molding is there a work around? Sears website says they are discontinued.
    As others have said, if you use a sled, you don't need a dado.

But, if you use the same dado to make the frame rest rabbet, then the insert is nice to have. I did not have the dado insert either, so, I bought a normal insert and simply ground out the size with a dremel tool, and finished with a file. Or you can take your saw model number, go to ereplacementparts.com, and get the part number for your table. From that you can see what other saws use the same table. Then check those model numbers for the dado insert if you don't want to make one yourself. Also check on e-Bay. I have seen the dado inserts listed there.

Good Luck.

cchoganjr

a lot of saws are parted out and sold on e-bay. you should find an insert with no problem.

One shouldn't be using the saw period if it is that bad.
    I agree with Deknow here. Either from abuse or mass production I have found the saw blade is not parallel with the miter grooves in the table. Fences are all over the place. I have also seen miters that are not pinned at 90 degrees to the grooves in the table. The best thing for a novice is to throw it away.
    Barry, the discussion was about binding when you use the miter and the fence. It should never happen if things are lined up and the workpiece doesn't move on the miter. Sand paper or emery on the miter surface really helps to keep that from happening and gives you much better cuts with the miter without a lot of grip force. Your grip might be three times what someone who has never used a table saw has.

Many woodworkers find that adjustable dado units are inferior to a stacked dado set.
    Oh yeah extremely important when building bee equipment.
    Brian Cardinal

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast