Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default For those who build your own, which table saw?

I'm starting my search for a table saw so that I can start making my own supers and other hive equipment. I would like to stay in the $300 dollar range.
    Preferably I am looking for a saw that can handle a 3/4" Dado stack. For those of you who build, what specific brand/model table saw do you use or would you recommend to use?
    I would rather purchase something new, but if I come across something used that would be great. So basically I'm looking for general advice so I'll know what specific saws to be on the lookout for.

Thanks
    DD
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Default Re: For those who build your own, which table saw?

I bought a ridged TS3650 off of craigslist. It had rust and I had to really clean it up. I like the external motor.

Start looking at the Craigs List advertisements in your area to begin getting an idea of what your local market's like. If you go to the website ifttt.com, (if this then that) you can set up an if-then command to send you an email when there's a table saw newly listed on your local Craigslist. I've got a job about a hundred miles from home, so I browse a few different Craigslists to try to find things that I need, and the ifttt has made it possible to jump in there and get some things I've needed before someone else gets in there.

Good Luck, Knisely

In the $300 price range, Craigslist will be your friend. I bought this model used:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-09-...site+table+saw

This saw gets my recommendation. The fence is very accurate, easy to adjust and slides out very far. Maybe 36"? This saw gets quite a bit of use and has never disappointed.

Shane

I haven't been in the market for quite a while, but is there any new saw for $300 That can take a 3/4 dado?

I will say this - for bee boxes you don't really need a very powerful saw. Softwood, mostly only 3/4 thick. But any table saw is only as good as the fence. It needs to be realibly accurate and square and lock down solid as a rock.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

This ad for a full size Craftsman tablesaw is worth contacting the seller to see if its is still available:
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/4232148963.html

About 40 miles away, $150. If you can get the seller to tell you the model number you probably can determine the arbor length online. Or go see it and remove the blade and check for yourself. Use some of your remaining cash for a new blade and decent stack dado set.

As for general tablesaw advice - IMO - avoid models with blades smaller than 10", and avoid direct drive saws unless you can verify that they have induction motors. My preference is a model with a belt drive and an induction motor. Usually induction motors will have one or two "bumps" (slightly smaller than a toilet paper core) on the motor housing.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 01-21-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: rephrase - thanks Cleo!
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

I bought a JET JWTS-10 contractor saw off craigslist for $100. Needed a blade, throat plate, and belt and minor clean-up and adjustment. Can put 3/4" dado stack on it and has plenty of power. If I was cutting anything harder than pine I might be inclined to wire up to 220v.

Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    If I was cutting anything harder than pine I might be inclined to wire up to 220v.
    I have used my 115V Bosch to cut a lot of 3/4" red oak flooring. No complaints at all going through oak with rip cuts.

Shane

I have an older 10 inch craftman with a cast iron table and would not trade for a new alum tablesaw. also this is an external motor which I prefer. the older craftsman saws were made by delta.

Thanks for all the posts. I don't use Craig's list much but I found this for $75 pickup, but I can't find any contact info on the seller or a location. Am I missing something?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/4297597530.html
    Also how critical is a 3/4 dado in building hive equipment? What would be a work around? More than 1 pass?
    Thanks

Click the "contact" button in the upper left of the ad.

3/4" dado capability is not "critical", but if you don't have it some cuts may require 2 passes. For my money I'd keep looking til I found one with 3/4" dado capability.

Here is another one from your area:
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/4238233598.html
    If it is still for sale, try offering him $175. Nice looking fence rail - it may be aftermarket.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

You won't get much for $300 new. You will get a better saw off Craig's list. Look for a Delta, Powermatic, or Rigid, older models are very rarely worn out other than arbor bearings. My table saw is probably 70 years old, for instance, and my grandpa's Craftsman small model isn't much newer.

When you go to check them out, look for a solid, easy to move and easy to lock fence -- avoid buying a saw with a bent or damaged fence, nothing else will be right either. You will be able to tell if it takes a dado set by looking at the arbor -- if it sticks out an inch or so past the blade, it will hold a 3/4" or 15/16" stack just fine. Any shorter, don't buy it.

Avoid saws with stamped or heavily perforated tables, they are "contractor's saws" and meant for rough work, the light table is to make them easy to more around. You want a solid, heavy saw with a good table and good fence.

Check the arbor for loose or worn bearings -- if the blade "shakes" or has any roughness in rotation, don't bother.

Light surface rust cleans up with Scotchbrite and a bit of wax, deep pits make the table rough and you should avoid anything with heavy rust.

Delta tilt top saws are very nice, if small and a bit unhandy. I bought mine because it was cheap and had a huge 110v motor on it, cuts 15/16" dados in end grain effortlessly. Worth every bit of the $80 I paid for it, even though I had to eventually replace the fence rails. It was toppled over at some point and there is a dent in the tubular rail, I finally gave up on trying to get it filed round and replaced it.

Happy hunting!

Peter

Interesting, when I followed my own link to the Craig's list item it gives me the option to contact. My iPhone app said 'no info' on all contact buttons.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    and avoid direct drive motors. .
    Radar... You and I almost always agree, (on every thing), but, here we are on opposite sides. I have 7 table saws and every one is direct drive. They have made thousands of boxes, bottom boards, inner covers, and tops. Two are set up with dado sets. ( one cuts the box joint and frame rabbet, the other cuts groove in side rail of bottom board and rabbet for tops.) Never had a problem with any of them.

All except one came from Craig's list, most I paid for any of them was $150.00 I like the older model Craftsmans that begin with the serial number 113. Most were made in the 1990s and up until about 2004. Some very good models are 113.298360, 113.298050 and 113.298051. These saws all have the same table. same miter grooves, so patterns will work on any of them so long as you keep the same blade. I really like using patterns rather than using a fence

I would advise if you plan to build very many bee items, do not rely on a fence. Make a pattern that anchors in the miter groove for your various cuts. That way every box will be the same. No measuring or squaring a fence. I hang my patterns, but, they could be stacked when not in use.

Here is what my patterns look like.

Bee patterns.jpg

cchoganjr

I can not help you with brand and whatnot but a few things I would try to get on the saw:

At least 3/4" for your Dado. Mine can not handle it and I used 3/8th instead. Looks nice too I think but required more cuts per a board....

The slot cut in the top of the table for tools to ride in. Mine has this built in slide thing.... totally sucks!!!! Wiggles and wobbles and is held together with plastic on small extruded aluminum rails..... total crap! I ended up building a sled to mount onto the table so I did not have to re-cut any more ends.

Dust collection to shop vac.
    April 21, 2014 - 3 Hives - 2 packages and 1 swarm

I don't even own a table saw, and I whip these out somehow :

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/grd/4297883066.html

www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

I admit I have never owned a direct drive table saw, so my comments above are personal preference. But I believe that if I wanted to replace the motor in a belt-driven saw, there is a greater likelihood of finding a suitable motor at a reasonable price than if the saw had a direct drive motor.

While the saws Cleo refers to apparently have direct drive induction motors, it appears some other direct drive tablesaw motors are not induction motors and have brushes. So I will modify modify my advice to avoid saws that do not have induction motors.

I also agree with Cleo about building a jig or a sled for repetitive cuts. It takes extra time to build the sled, but once that is done all parts will be the same regardless of the quality of your fence.
    Graham

I have a ridgid love it i also have a small direct drive saw used it for years did not know what i was missing till i got my rigid. I would go with rigid or craftsman. The 300 is a bad price to set most good saws are 4 or 5 why spend 300 on a not so good saw. I went through the same thing when i got mine. Oh yea unless you are going to move it get a cast deck. Now if i could get a good dado stack for less than an arm and a leg

I bought a craftsman 113. saw back in 1976 just to build beekeeping equipment and still use it today. There are a few things that it does well and a few others that could be improved. It is a 10 inch model. I've used 12 inch and 8 inch craftsman saws and generally prefer the 10 inch for overall use. I too am biased against direct drive saws, I like the belt drive for flexibility and durability.

1. It handles molding heads and dadoes with ease.
    2. It has a 1 hp motor with dual shafts on each end, one to drive the saw, the other to drive a dust collector if I wanted to use one.
    3. I run it with an 8 inch thin kerf carbide blade which allows very high cut accuracy. I work to 1/64 inch accuracy on all cuts.
    4. Agree strongly about building jigs, slides, and sleds. These are the tools you need most
    5. I use the top of the tablesaw for verifying cuts are square and accurate

What is wrong with it?
    1. The insert has a gap that is about 1/2 inch wide. I would prefer if it was either 3/16 or 1/4.
    2. The extensions on the side of the saw are thin sheet metal, I would prefer the cast iron extensions.
    3. The fence adjusts on angle iron strips that I would prefer were twice as long so I could cut on either side of the blade.
    4. The legs that I bought with it are a bit flimsy.

I've made a boat load of equipment with my saw over the years and consider it to have been one of the best tools I ever purchased. It is not up to cabinet grade work, but it is perfect for making bee equipment and minor furniture items.

As an fyi, you might find a decent saw on ebay for a reasonable price. Put the below search string in and see what you come up with.

(tablesaw,"table saw")
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I believe that if I wanted to replace the motor in a belt-driven saw, there is a greater likelihood of finding a suitable motor at a reasonable price than if the saw had a direct drive motor.
    You are right there. I think that would be a major job. I guess if I ever had a motor go out, I would just get another off Craig's list. I see good saws on Craigs list for $75.00 to $150.00. I normally check Louisville and Nashville when I need something.

Slightly off thread but, while you are looking for a saw, check the Farm and Garden. you can also find bee supplies on Craigs List, you might decide to buy, rather than build.

cchoganjr

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast