Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mannlake

Default Mannlake

Does anyone use the budget grade hive boxes from Mannlake? Need to save a few $'S to get some more essential items. Will the quality be much lower than the commercial boxes?

Default Re: Mannlake

I tried an order of the budget, they aren't bad but I wouldn't order them again. The savings aren't enough to make it worth while in my mind. I would rather order the commercial boxes which are quite nice!) and not have the cracks and loose knots.

I bought 100 of the budget nuc bodies. I was very happy with them. Bought about 50 of the budget deeps. Never had a loose knot or a crack. They were fine for me.

It's been a few years since I bought any from Mann Lake. When I did, I've only seen a few budget grade boxes that were a bit warped and a pain and required some camps to get them straight. Most were fine. All of them have been usable.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I bought 45 budget deeps recently and they are "ok". Lots of loose knots and some cracks and some warped long sides, but all were usable. I would order the budget grade again just because of the cost savings. I painted all my knots with Titebond III to seal them. They will all get a good coat of primer and good coat of exterior paint, so they should be just fine.
    Tim Wilbanks
    Kalona Honey Company, LLC www.kalonahoney.com

I bought a bunch of budget boxes last year when they were on sale. I went trough each piece the day they arrived and sorted them. 1- no issues 2- some knots usable 3- loose knots (add glue and they are no longer loose) usable and then 4- warped garbage and cracked pieces. I called ML about the unusable ones and they replaced them for free with no issues. Great customer service.

The garbage can be used as top boxes for top feeding.

David

If you are buying enough, western bee's budget hives were better (in my opinion)and cheaper(if you buy in quantity)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman43 View Post
    I tried an order of the budget, they aren't bad but I wouldn't order them again. The savings aren't enough to make it worth while in my mind. I would rather order the commercial boxes which are quite nice!) and not have the cracks and loose knots.
    I have ordered ML budget boxes several times. In the last order, I received 2 ends with splits. ML sent 2 new replacements in a few days. Great customer service from ML.

I've got some of their budget boxes that has been in use for years,

I have numerous and nothing so bad that isn't easly fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    If you are buying enough, western bee's budget hives were better (in my opinion)and cheaper(if you buy in quantity)
    I checked with them and they wanted over $300 for shipping. lol.

I've gotten about 100 over the last two years. They are fine. What I like is the milling and fit tends to be very good compared to other budget boxes I've tried. There are a few more knots, small cracks, but they don't effect the final product. I caulk any of those between the paint coats. This business is too expensive when paying select prices.

Purchased some in the fall. Decent quality. Nothing that was unusable. I would buy them again in a pinch (I make all of my own equipment).
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

The 6 5/8's boxes are currently on sale.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ampaign=WW-605

Quote Originally Posted by Widdy View Post
    The 6 5/8's boxes are currently on sale.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ampaign=WW-605
    The sale boxes are commercial, we're talking about budget. For the folks who like cheap! I'd be interested if the budget boxes were on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by hjsmith00843 View Post
    Does anyone use the budget grade hive boxes from Mannlake? Need to save a few $'S to get some more essential items. Will the quality be much lower than the commercial boxes?
    Hey hjsmith00843,
    I just bought some supers from Miller Bee Supply, the deeps are a little cheaper than Mann Lakes, and they are in North Carolina, which would be close to you.. Here is the link: http://millerbeesupply.com/catalog/f...94f0054cc13a9e

Am I alone in finding the Mann Lake boxes are a bit big? There is always room for ALMOST another frame, but not quite. This means you have to space them out, which means the comb extends past the frame shoulders, which is a bit dangerous for squishing queens when putting frames back, or you shove them together and have a nearly full frame space empty at one end of the box. Ditto for their nuc boxes, which take nearly 6 frames.

I love their Select grade boxes though...really nice and clean wood.

If you are looking to buy more than 50 I would take a look at www.hivebodies.com they have a great price on commercial boxes for a far price.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
    Am I alone in finding the Mann Lake boxes are a bit big? There is always room for ALMOST another frame, but not quite. This means you have to space them out, which means the comb extends past the frame shoulders, which is a bit dangerous for squishing queens when putting frames back, or you shove them together and have a nearly full frame space empty at one end of the box. Ditto for their nuc boxes, which take nearly 6 frames.
    Are you talking about their 8 frame boxes?
    They are 14" wide and therefore have the exact issues you mention but some people use it to their benefit
    by slightly shaving frames to get 9 for brood and spacing them out for honey with 8 in a box.

>Am I alone in finding the Mann Lake boxes are a bit big?

8 frame boxes do seem a little big for eight frames. Eight frames and a follower fit perfectly. Shave the end bars just a little and 9 frames fit nicely. The size was "stadardized" at something between 13 3/4" and 14" 150 years or so ago. I"m not sure why they weren't 13"... but they aren't. Just put them tightly together in the center. The oustide frames tend to be honey and they will just make them a bit fat on the outside.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF