Smile Getting ants out of collected pollen

I want to share this in case anyone else ever comes across this problem.

I put a front plastic Brushy Mnt pollen trap on a hive over a month ago. At first it worked ok, as long as I kept emptying it before our daily rain. Then ants found it and the battle began.

At the same time I was training another hive to use top entrance so I could put on a Sundance II pollen trap. I added that over a week ago, and the bees have acclimated to it. Took about 6 days. So now I'm collecting pollen from it, and the ants have found it also.

They are small ants, not fire ants and not as small as ghost ants. I had emptied the Sundance pollen in a plastic container and put it on the grass while dealing with the other pollen trap (which I ended up taking off because tape came loose and it was falling down anyway). I came back to the container on the ground and saw that most of the ants were leaving. So I let it sit for another 30 min, came back, no more ants! Glory hallelujah! I had been freezing the pollen and then picking ants out one by one with a tweezers. Very time consuming!

Hope this helps anyone who might search to find a solution if they run into this too.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: Getting ants out of collected pollen

The ants are coming up from the ground. Create some kind of oil/grease barrier tween the ground and the hives. I've gone to a 4x4 single pole set into cement in the ground that I have a metal plate (I cut a 4x4 hole in the middle of the plate and placed it onto the pole facing down) that is grease lined to prevent ants coming up into mine. I have 4 hive stands built that way that can handle 2 hives and a nuc each. Plenty of room for growth this spring. My ants are the carpenter ants and they took out a nuc I did in early summer. Good luck.
    3 hives/2 nucs

bevy, I discovered the same thing-about leaving the container sitting for a few minutes. I had been picking them out of my pollen one by one as well and then one day got distracted and let the container sitting outside on the table for 5 minutes and when I came back they were all marching out of the pollen and around the rim. (These little tidbits should be included in the instruction sheets with the pollen traps)

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    (These little tidbits should be included in the instruction sheets with the pollen traps)
    Oh yes, definitely!

I had noticed the same thing, when I emptied the Brushy trap drawer then set container on top of a hive while replacing drawer. I watched for awhile and it seemed they were only walking around, not really leaving. It was putting them on the grass that seemed to do the trick for me.

I am going to do a different stand for this hive also, Santa Caras. I use cinder blocks because that's how my mentor taught me to do it. They're cheap, and the way my country bee yard is set up, this works best. I'm dealing with trees, a pond, uneven ground, so I place hives in a willy nilly way so I have good access to each one and on a level spot. That's not the case in my back yard. For my back yard, I can set up cinder blocks with metal poles running through them, then hives on top of poles, grease the poles. This is my project after fall harvest.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF