Getting ants out of collected pollen
I want to share this in case anyone else ever comes across this problem.
I put a front plastic Brushy Mnt pollen trap on a hive over a month ago. At first it worked ok, as long as I kept emptying it before our daily rain. Then ants found it and the battle began.
At the same time I was training another hive to use top entrance so I could put on a Sundance II pollen trap. I added that over a week ago, and the bees have acclimated to it. Took about 6 days. So now I'm collecting pollen from it, and the ants have found it also.
They are small ants, not fire ants and not as small as ghost ants. I had emptied the Sundance pollen in a plastic container and put it on the grass while dealing with the other pollen trap (which I ended up taking off because tape came loose and it was falling down anyway). I came back to the container on the ground and saw that most of the ants were leaving. So I let it sit for another 30 min, came back, no more ants! Glory hallelujah! I had been freezing the pollen and then picking ants out one by one with a tweezers. Very time consuming!
Hope this helps anyone who might search to find a solution if they run into this too.
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF