Default Has anyone tried Sainfoin in the east?

I have been spending a lot of time sowing sweet Yellow Clover all around my area, last week an Amish guy turned me on to Sainfoin. It is supposed to produce excellent honey and is supposed to be a huge nectar producer early in the season, it seems to be making a comeback out in the midwest, I had never heard of it before, but research looks very promising, enough so that we are ordering 100 lbs of seed to try, just wondering if anyone else has tried this in the eastern part of the country.

Default Re: Has anyone tried Sainfoin in the east?

I tried it. My soil is acidic, so I spread lots of lime before planting. We had an extremely dry summer. It only grew 4" - 6" the whole summer. The following spring, none of it came up. I live in Virginia.

Good luck. If yours works out, I may try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Valley View Post
    I have been spending a lot of time sowing sweet Yellow Clover all around my area, last week an Amish guy turned me on to Sainfoin. It is supposed to produce excellent honey and is supposed to be a huge nectar producer early in the season, it seems to be making a comeback out in the midwest, I had never heard of it before, but research looks very promising, enough so that we are ordering 100 lbs of seed to try, just wondering if anyone else has tried this in the eastern part of the country.
    What's your cost per pound and what is the rate per 1000 so or acre?

So far I have found two good sources, one in Wyoming is $100 for 50 lbs, the other is in Florida and someone I have dealt with before and they are at $130 for 50lbs.
    I have a rather unique situation, our property abuts a large creek, there is a 200 yard swath on either side of the creek of no mans land, it isn't wet land, and consists of deep loam. It doesn't flood very often, maybe once in 25 years. The land consists of open woods broken up by large open areas. I have hand raked and seeded patches for a 1/2 mile in either direction with sweet yellow clover, I would be doing the same with the Sainfoin. Ph is averaging 6.5.