Thread: Nuc Condos

Default Nuc Condos

Building "condos" has some apparent advantages: less room is occupied and, most importantly, less heat loss. As bees can only raise as much brood as they can keep warm, the issue of heat loss seems critical in spring colony build-up, as well as wintering survival (hence why some have double-nucs). After considering that double-nucs were already in use, and seeing various "queen castles", I was wondering: why not the same with nucs?

I was thinking of something along the lines of two back-to-back rows of 7-deep frame nucs, so that once colonies are reaching full size, I can transfer four frames into nuc boxes for sale, shake a little extra bees in them, and then I'd still have a 3-frame nuc to later install a royal cell or queen into to reboot the colony. I'm thinking that perhaps follower boards, like in top-bar hives, could be placed, but as must walls would be dividing colonies the only use for those would probably be at the extremities.

I always try to think "outside the box", which can sometimes result in silly ideas. I was wondering what other people might think of this? Would this setup increase spring-time build-up? What about in summer? Would it over-heat, or would the reduced heat loss at night still prove beneficial?
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Default Re: Nuc Condos

its been done, go for it. You can divide hives in the same box any way you'de like. An easy way is to deep box and divide it into 2, 3 or 4 cells. Just make sure the hives with divider boards have their own entrances on different sides and there is no way for bees to cross over. Obviously need to watch them as they can outgrow the space quickly.

I took 10 frame deeps and turned them into Nuc Condos. They hold 4 frames comfortably per side, they have entrance disc to provide ventilation from the bottom and are equipped with separate tops with entrance to provide opening on opposite sides.

DSC01712a.jpg
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

I've used four 10-frame, medium super sides (I lost too many end pieces that I had lots of extra side pieces), trimming their ends, so that four of them fit together as a square box. With this configuration, I can create four compartments, that each hold three frames. Basically a 4-way, 3-frame nuc condo. I use #8 hardware cloth to cover their bottoms, providing plenty of ventilation, since they have only a 3/8" hole for their entrance. This season, 2013-2014, in autumn, I disestablished them, combining them with other nucs that could use the population boost, or queen. In previous seasons, they were always the nucs most likely to be robbed out, despite their tiny entrances.

Jack Moore,
    Have you had any problems with drifting, or virgins entering the wrong sides? Since you have all your entrances on the same sides of adjacent nuc compartments, and with identical entrance rings?
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Sticky Bear, nice looking nucs, I would alternate the entrances though, every other one looks the opposite way just to lessen the chances of drift.

I alternate front and back as well as high and low for the entrances. in a 10 frame box with 4 compartments no two entrances are in the same location. there is one high and one low on the back and one high and one low on the front. Put any vents int eh bottom. bees gt confused which hole is the entrance if you don't. I need to get my compartments color coded. I think I loose half my returning queens due to them finding the wrong entrance. Wrong box etc. I am also goign to add shapes above each entrance to see if that helps.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Sticky Bear, nice looking nucs, I would alternate the entrances though, every other one looks the opposite way just to lessen the chances of drift.
    I do rotate one of the top entrances to the back, in the photo I posted only the far right nuc was occupied at the time. The bottom entrances are strictly for ventilation. I also turn one of the hives backwards too.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary