Default Discussion in For Sale Threads

To the moderator: (couldn't find a better place to post this publicly; feel free to move it as appropriate!)

What is the reason that discussion is forbidden on the For Sale forum? I frequently see items (Bee Bee trees, tools, etc.) that I'm interested in, but with the blackout on discussion, no more information is ever publicly forthcoming about the item or folks past experiences with it. That's one of the really nice things about shopping on Amazon, for example, seeing the comments from past purchasers about what they liked (or didn't), or even clarifications of what's included in the box, etc.

I understand the importance of staying on topic (i.e. not hijacking a paid For Sale thread to promote a different product, etc.) and also the importance of avoiding flame wars if folks have strong feelings about a product or vendor that may be subjective or not substantiated, but aside from those two exceptions, I would think discussion of a For Sale item would be a positive thing.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Discussion in For Sale Threads

Not a moderator, but there is always the P.M. if you need more information. However, I have asked a simple pertinent question in a sales thread and nobody objected.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

You can always start a thread in another forum to discuss a product offered in the For Sale forum. The Consumer Report forum is one possible forum for discussion of products, for example.

If you start a separate thread, there is nothing preventing you from including a link to a product that is the subject of your thread.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 01-08-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Before-Posting!

*This section is not for conversation and discussion. Members pay to post an ad, so we expect you to show respect and only post here if you are truly interested in purchasing the item.

That doesn't explain it well enough?
    Regards, Barry

Barry-

I'm not trying to be difficult, and I did read the rule, but it doesn't explain _why_. I'm sure there's a reason why discussion responding to a for sale ad is forbidden here, but so far the rule doesn't make sense to me. Starting a new discussion thread elsewhere disconnects the related discussion.

If that's just how it is, so be it, but my vote would be towards allowing more discussion (with appropriate limitations) following an ad.

I don't think you're being difficult. Let me ask you this. What discussion is reasonable in your mind?
    Regards, Barry

When I go to the FS fourum, I want to see what's being sold, the price, condition, location, and all sorts of relevant information. I do not want to hear tangential commentary that, as we know, can go on for pages. I would like to be able to ask very specific clarification questions, which from what I can see in practice is allowed, or perhaps at least tolerated. I really don't see a need to change much. If you have detailed questions then PM the seller. If the seller misrepresents something, then word spreads pretty quickly.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't think you're being difficult. Let me ask you this. What discussion is reasonable in your mind?
    Barry:

Here's a recent example of what I would like to see allowed - this is a recent post from the For Sale forum. (A strict interpretation of the rule suggests Oliver is correct in not responding; is this how the rule is intended to apply?)

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...21#post1040021

Re: Bee Bee Tree Bareroot Whips Now Available

Quote (Posted by AramF)
    >>>Oliver,Can you by any chance give us a 2 liner about this tree. How soon will it bloom, how soon until it becomes mature?

Sorry, that is against the very strict forum rules:

"This section is not for conversation and discussion. Only post here if you are truly interested in purchasing the item."
    Last edited by knute; 01-08-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added URL linking to the example

Quote Originally Posted by knute View Post
    Barry:

Here's a recent example of what I would like to see allowed - this is a recent post from the For Sale forum. (A strict interpretation of the rule suggests Oliver is correct in not responding; is this how the rule is intended to apply?)
    Not at all. Oliver is being a scapegoat. AramF is asking for more clarification about the product being sold. Legit question.
    Regards, Barry