Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Default Re: Why not use Oxalic Acid?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgobears View Post
    In addition to a mask, as an eye doctor, I would recommend a chemical safety mask with eye protection (similar to a gas mask). Oxalic acid is an irritant to mucus membranes which includes upper respiratory tract and eyes. Protective eyewear can protect you from direct contact but will not protect you from vapor. While it may sound like overkill and be more costly, it isn't worth taking the risk. Sorry, if this has already been addressed, I didn't read through the entire thread.
    Thanks Mitchgobears...... Do you think a pair of competition swimming goggles would be adequate?

Swimming goggles

Anything that "seals" around the eyes and does not allow gas exchange should work. I don't know which would be more unnerving: seeing someone work their hives with an Israeli gas mask, or with a paper mask and swim goggles? Both scenarios are picture worthy!

Anything that "seals" around the eyes and does not allow gas exchange should work. I don't know which would be more unnerving: seeing someone work their hives with an Israeli gas mask, or with a paper mask and swim goggles? Both scenarios are picture worthy!
    LOL! Indeed!

While it may sound like overkill and be more costly, it isn't worth taking the risk. Sorry, if this has already been addressed, I didn't read through the entire thread.
    You can buy the type used by the military from e bay and army surplus stores, among other places, they are not very expensive, well made, and give good protection.

Quote Originally Posted by beekuk View Post
    You can buy the type used by the military from e bay and army surplus stores, among other places, they are not very expensive, well made, and give good protection.
    Once again "Why not use OA?" Because I have to think about buying a military grade GAS MASK.

Spent many hours in NBC gear in some pretty austere environments.......NOT MY IDEA OF FUN.

NBC= Nuclear, Chemical, Biological protection gear.
    Last edited by Duncan Thacker; 03-02-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: not done yet

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Thacker View Post
    Spent many hours in NBC gear in some pretty austere environments.......NOT MY IDEA OF FUN.

NBC= Nuclear, Chemical, Biological protection gear.
    And you put OA vaporization in the same group ...

Jeez, you guys are making this waaaay too complicated. Either stand upwind, or use a respirator. Good grief, it's not Chernobyl, just use common sense.
    To everything there is a season....

Your first paragraph is spot on. The following paragraphs make no sense as Sugar was a FOOD FIRST and shaking it on bees IS HARMLESS. Talcum powder can kill you too if enough is ingested but mothers all over the world powder babies butts! Pool players use it on their hands and its great on a problem deck of cards All harmless. Making comparisons does not change the fact that using Wood bleach and toilet cleaner in a food product IS illegal, immoral and unethical.

Continue to try to change is spots and my response will be the same every time because you can't argue it when you have NO BASIS for your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    And you put OA vaporization in the same group ...

Jeez, you guys are making this waaaay too complicated. Either stand upwind, or use a respirator. Good grief, it's not Chernobyl, just use common sense.
    Common sense would lead a person of normal intelligence to opt for safer alternatives. Don't ask me to repeat myself on those alternatives. I already given you LEGAL SAFER methods.

I hear ya, the safer "ineffective" alternative methods. There is no need to repeat yourself. I think everyone has already figured it out.

Did this gear you spent many hours in leak by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Duncan, whatever will you do or say WHEN OA in any form is approved as a miiticide?
    Wait till it runs its course and hits the dead end its destined to do. Pray unethical beeks don't "mix a little of this OA product and a little of that OA product" looking for the silver bullet that does not exist anyway.

However there are many of us that will continue to fight the good fight against it.

We don't have the financial interests in selling equipment to vaporize OA that you do.

Did this gear you spent many hours in leak by any chance?
    A professional soldier does not let gear our life depends on "leak" we do regular maintenance to ensure we are combat effective at all times. If that don't answer it for you ...I am still here so NO.

Could of had a tinsy winsy leak at some point, did you have a beard at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    I hear ya, the safer "ineffective" alternative methods. There is no need to repeat yourself. I think everyone has already figured it out.
    If everyone already figured it out they would not be asking what kind of PPE to use.

I Will have to go through forum rules again its been since 2001 last time I read them but I did think posting illegal, unethical methods was against the rules.

Could of had a tinsy winsy leak at some point, did you have a beard at the time.
    If you do your due diligence you would know that's impossible

I Will have to go through forum rules again its been since 2001 last time I read them but I did think posting illegal, unethical methods was against the rules.
    OK, while you're doing that I'm going to settle down in my easy chair and read about the adventures of Don Quixote.

OK, now I have to reply. "Unethical" ? Ever drive 56 mph in 55 mph zone? Ever jaywalk? Spit on the sidewalk? Give me a break. The only one who takes any risk while while using oxalic acid is the applicator, small as it might be.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, 6 nucs, treat when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    OK, now I have to reply. "Unethical" ? Ever drive 56 mph in 55 mph zone? Ever jaywalk? Spit on the sidewalk? Give me a break. The only one who takes any risk while while using oxalic acid is the applicator, small as it might be.
    Nice of you to join the conversation, yes I routinely drive 10 to 20 mph over the limit and everything else you said;however that has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about! Ridiculous comparisons used for ridiculous justifications are just that Ridiculous.

I have yet to hear ONE justifiable reason to use this garbage in a food product. Just rhetoric and pointless justifications. A criminal act cannot be justified.

Nice of you to join the conversation, yes I routinely drive 10 to 20 mph over the limit and everything else you said
    Thought you had respect for the law.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast