Thread: 4 Way pallet ?

Default 4 Way pallet ?

I am switching most of my hives over to 4way pallets. I've made 10 pallets so far and I was wondering if you guys drill any holes in the plywood to help drain out water? I'm sure its almost impossible to make sure the pallets are always level. Will a couple small hole hurt anything or are the necessary? I will be using the W clips if that makes any difference. Thanks, John

Default Re: 4 Way pallet ?

Seen just about everything. Some with holes and many with out. Seems like a lot of used ones I have purchased over the years had about 1/2-3/4" holes (in the corners) with 5 count or less hardware cloth over the top side to keep the mice on the bottom side of the comb view. If you do it make sure you paint or seal the holes well if you expect to get a long life out of the pallets.

Last few days of last week we have been going through the "hospital pile" of pallets doing repairs. I can verify that great wood with great screws covered with great paint can make all the difference in the world when it comes to longevity. Wish I knew now what I didn't know 22 years back when we decided to go with a palletized operation.

Since you are in FL, this may pertain to you. I have thought about putting holes in my pallets but fear that I may just be giving the SHB another access path. I have no proof that this is true, just speculation.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

We always drill 1in holes in both back sides of the plywood deck where each hive sets. You can even drill a hole in the corner opposite from the entrance so that no matter what angle your pallet sits it will always drain. We never have any problems.

I like holes in the corners of my pallets.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

We started drilling 3/8" holes in each back corner a few years ago. Usually at least one will stay open enough to do the job. It can't be good to have bottom boards filled with water
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

You could always design your pallets without a landing board.