Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Trolls

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rowley, MA
    Posts
    240

    Default Trolls

    I enjoy this site a lot and have direct many of my friends and new beekeepers to the site for its great information. Moderators have a tough job, I was one for a while and wouldn't do it again.

    For the most part this site is civil and informative however, i think a lot of us here don't recognize a troll when we see one. A troll is someone who is looking for attention and will do or say anything to get it. Post inflammatory comments, absurd ideas etc. Reaction is what they are looking for, ignore them and they go looking elsewhere, which would make the moderators job a lot easier.

    Assume most posts are genuine but when you see someone post a question, silly or not, and then try to start an argument with whoever answers your troll radar should come out and the ignore button be pushed, admittedly some of the threads are entertaining but in the end they almost always go too far and people are offended and the site could end up losing a member that is actually contributing good information...

    My two cents

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Walker, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: Trolls

    I think it is important to remember that there IS an "ignore" feature on this forum--and USE IT! It's the best answer I know to the trolling problem that BS seems to have developed recently. The minute I realize what I am dealing with, that member gets added to my ignore list. My time on BeeSource is much more enjoyable now. I just wish there was a way to do that to some threads! Feeding trolls is bad for the health of the whole forum.

    JMO

    Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Belpre,Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,082

    Default Re: Trolls

    I have never used the ignore feature, if you ignore someone does it block you from seeing that persons post, their thread? I am just curious as to how it works and did not want to block someone just to find out.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: Trolls

    I've not used it either but I can't imagine being able to resist seeing posts that read "ignored user" in a thread I was participating in.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,643

    Default Re: Trolls

    >did not want to block someone just to find out.

    You can block me to test....I am a big fat hairy TROLL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Walker, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: Trolls

    Well, I found myself starting to be reluctant to check BeeSource. I felt blindsided sometimes by the vitriolic discourse of some of the threads. Certain people get really "hot". Some are out-and-out trolls in my opinion. With them on my list, their posts show as being ignored and I can decide if I want to risk reading them or not. Surprisingly, I am finding even those threads to be worthwhile now that I have some control. If I choose to read the post, at least I know what the risk is. Occasionally I read them anyhow, regret it, and vow not to make that mistake again. There are one or two on here whose posts I NEVER read. Frankly I don't need the indigestion they always cause me. And, surprisingly, there is one in particular that I took back off my list after a time. Either I got used to his style or he turned down the volume or something, but he's not nearly as annoying as I once thought him to be.

    Without that ignore feature I probably would have bailed on BS a long time ago and missed out on some great conversations!

    JMO

    Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rowley, MA
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: Trolls

    It's not so much using the ignore button as it is not feeding them by responding

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Belpre,Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,082

    Default Re: Trolls

    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    >I am a big fat hairy TROLL.
    I will take your word for it OD but you have always been a really nice big fat hairy troll.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bell County, KY, USA
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Trolls

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
    It's not so much using the ignore button as it is not feeding them by responding
    This

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Trolls

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
    It's not so much using the ignore button as it is not feeding them by responding
    I agree that in most circumstances ignoring is the best response. If no one engages them, they eventually move on to a more exciting playground elsewhere.

    However, the flip side to ignoring is that occasionally outrageous or sometimes reckless advice is posted, and I have pity on the poor new beekeeper reading it who takes it as good solid advice if it is not challenged. Voicing opposing viewpoints in a civil manner is what makes this site such a great resource.
    To everything there is a season....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rowley, MA
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: Trolls

    Couldn't agree more mike it's getting into the six page arguments that doesn't help. If a trusted veteran says it is bunk assume its bunk and ignore it. For me that is any moderator and sqkcrk, Michael bush, Cleo hogan, Jim Lyons and a few others

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bell County, KY, USA
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Trolls

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    ... I have pity on the poor new beekeeper reading it who takes it as good solid advice...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,028

    Default Re: Trolls

    Isn't that a 'French' model?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Park City Ky
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Trolls

    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    ..I am a big fat hairy TROLL.
    hummmmm,,, Maybe two out of the four. Ha!!!

    cchoganjr

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,288

    Default Re: Trolls

    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    You can block me to test....I am a big fat hairy TROLL.
    I can vouch for that!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,044

    Default Re: Trolls

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    I agree that in most circumstances ignoring is the best response. If no one engages them, they eventually move on to a more exciting playground elsewhere.

    However, the flip side to ignoring is that occasionally outrageous or sometimes reckless advice is posted, and I have pity on the poor new beekeeper reading it who takes it as good solid advice if it is not challenged. Voicing opposing viewpoints in a civil manner is what makes this site such a great resource.
    I agree Mike. Make your point as politely and succinctly as you can. It usually becomes obvious pretty quickly if someone wants to respond in a constructive manner or if they are just looking for a fight. If it looks to be heading downhill it's best to get out (not that I'm always disciplined enough to do it) and rely on the combined wisdom of those "silent 1,000" readers to sort things out.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Trolls

    I do not agree with the ignore position. if that is what you do then what have you done to make it a better place? Moderation is fine but will never set the tone for a group such as this. it is the members and what they tolerate that does that. so ignore and make all things permissible in fact be ignorant of most of it. When there are none left off your ignore list you will have earned every silent moment of it.

    I in fact believe just the opposite should happen. you should speak up. point out there behavior is unacceptable while still encouraging varying view points. there is a standard of behavior that is acceptable and that which is not.

    Would you allow such behavior at your club meetings? would you allow it in your home? if not it is not appropriate here either. Difference of opinion is one thing. argument, insults, antagonism and disruption are another. I ay ti starts with the banning of such replies as "Why do that" When someone has asked how to do something or advice on how t do it. The answer to that question is obvious. because the person asking has chosen to do it. and questioning such a choice never belongs in a conversation ti is not intended to be constructive, informative or helpful. It is not the same thing as saying I would not advice doing that because... The difference can be recognize simply by seeing that the first way is putting the person in the position to defend their choice. Need to defend without questions means that an attack has been made. and attacks are unacceptable. In the second case the person is being informed with no need to defend their choice. Opposition to the choice has been shared without it being a challenge to the choice.

    This is just one of thousands of example of the difference between acceptable and unacceptable. and when others decide for themselves that what they saw take place was unacceptable and say so. behavior will begin to correct itself.

    I have actually seen a conversation nor two recently that has gone very well and actually contained great information. so maybe their is hope. Btu in all when the members of this group really get tired of the BS . they will end it. Moderators do not even have that power. It can only be stopped by the very same people that cause it. And I don't always think that is the moderators. in some cases I think it is.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Walker, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: Trolls

    so ignore and make all things permissible in fact be ignorant of most of it. When there are none left off your ignore list you will have earned every silent moment of it.
    Afraid I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, Daniel Y. I come to BS to share and enjoy all things bees. Troll activity is certainly not an agreeable activity for me. I, for one, don't enjoy a good fight. (don't drive slowly by accident sites either). I'll "ignore" a member here or there and still enjoy the site, but more than a handful of ignores means that this is not a site for me and I'm GONE BABY GONE. My free time is too valuable to me to have it wasted or spoiled by trolls and nastiness in general.

    JMO

    Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    43,475

    Default Re: Trolls

    The real cost of trolls is when they manage to hit the hot button of some experienced beekeeper who has been generously sharing his wisdom and as a result get that valuable resource (the wise beekeeper) upset enough to get themselves banned... I've seen that several times and it's always sad to see. They will be missed...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO United States
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: Trolls

    The other side is being called a troll by some (which I have been), and posters intent is far from it. Shall we now call them bullies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads