Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Rules?

Default Re: Forum Rules?

Ian:

I've been their VICTIM countless times.

I agree with Sweet's opinion.

As someone who's presided over many organizations and committees, it's important to allow for civil debate, even on a forum.

Forums should be about discourse, and not what keeps occurring on thread after thread.

I also think some OPs don't want a discourse - they want to publicize their opinions without challenge.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    Or, as the OP, provide meaningful input to the thread to keep the conversation going in the direction intended as the creator of the thread.
    I'm happy to get paid to participate in a focus group or discussion on a particular topic...but my time here is on my own dime.

If someone wants to communicate in a specific direction, one can write an article...if one wants to have a discussion with other folks who are writing in their own free time, the title of "OP" doesn't give power to dictate the direction of a discussion.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

You do it to yourself WLC

I think many here would agree.

Civil debate is difficult if one insists on maintaining anonymity.

I totally agree deknow.

Sweet , should those opposing off topic points be moderated out?

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    I also think some OPs don't want a discourse - they want to publicize their opinions without challenge.
    ...which is exactly why they cannot dictate the course of a thread.
    deknow

Perhaps everyone of my posts here to this thread should be moderated out. They arnt because this kind of conversation adds depth to discussions. Many different shades to any colour

Having an 'anonymous' handle shouldn't be made an ad hoc target for personal attacks.

Yet, it just occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You do it to yourself WLC

I think many here would agree.
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    ...if one wants to have a discussion with other folks who are writing in their own free time, the title of "OP" doesn't give power to dictate the direction of a discussion.

deknow
    The OP has as much influence as anyone else on the direction of a discussion by their input.

If the OP asks "why is the sky blue" and people somehow start talking about the upcoming Super Bowl game, the OP can simply chime in and ask the question again or tie the conversation back to his original question, etc. It may not work, but it is not like the OP starts a thread and then is completely powerless to keep the discussion related to his original question.
    --shinbone

WLC , the only "attack" posters have made to you is by calling you *****.

Remember what your mother says, if you ignore them...
    Last edited by Ian; 01-19-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    It is difficult to assess one's own ideas and opinions if one keeps them to oneself. It is even more difficult to share and spread good information/facts/opinions if they are never shared.

With sharing comes risk...no one can tell you what you have to gain or lose by sharing or not sharing.

Moderation is a thankless task...one spends time debating what posts/users to do something about...and then the problem poster get to the point where every post has to be reviewed, and no matter what, the person being moderated (even if it is me) feels mistreated no matter what happens, and no matter how over the top they are.

Moderation is work...it's much easier (I think) to give members enough rope to show their colors/intent and then ban them if they are not contributing or being cooperative in the discussion.

I don't pay close attention, but the folks I know that have been banned from BS generally deserved it (and were given enough rope to make it clear that they were not going to try to cooperate)....many of them have been banned and/or heavily moderated on other lists and forums as well...not because of what happened on BS, but because of a repeat performance in whatever forum they are banned from.

How can one even conceive of a 'discussion' if one's own contributions aren't subject to scrutiny? How can one expect to be treated 'fairly' by those that run and use a forum if one conducts themselves as JG did in his short time here?

It's up to you to decide what you (or the rest of us) can gain from your contribution, how much 'abuse' you are willing to take from those that disagree with you, and if you are going to conduct yourself in a way that will not get you banned...again, most of the bans that I'm aware of were very well deserved....if you think your contributions will make the owners/moderators think you should be banned, then you can decide if that is worth it to you.

deknow
    Simply amazing. This thread has nothing to do with the poster or his banning and yet look at what you write. What is so difficult to understand about that? Whether intentional or ignorant, the result is the same, loss of focus.

Isn't it the case that processed honey and pesticides are not to be criticized? That those who sell processed honey and for whatever reason support pesticides will shut down debate and have any thread closed by anyone who advocates raw honey and promoting pesticides as THE problem for honey bees?

Do you know what needs moderation? Excessive quoting....

WLC , the only "attack" posters have made to you is by calling you *****.

Remember what your mother says, if you ignore them...
    Remember what Barry said?

The next person that refers to WLC as anything other than WLC gets a 'timeout'.

Kindly remove any personal information from your post.

I consider it to be a personal attack.
    Last edited by WLC; 01-19-2014 at 08:48 AM.

......Did you honestly feel the member who is now banned was in it for a civilized debate? Nobody , not even members typically against the use of pesticides stood with him
    Yes, the Banned one was swimming upstream with a blind fold and ear plugs in the exchange, but I wonder what kind and how many warnings were administered before the banning. It seems that off-line moderation could have saved some of the carnage, you never know -maybe it was tried. Closing the thread does not seem a bad thing to me after reading hundreds of those posts.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

WLC, I did not call you *****, I called you WLC. I'm just explaining to you what I meant in an earlier posting which you asked me to do

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Remember what Barry said?

The next person that refers to WLC as anything other than WLC gets a 'timeout'.

Kindly remove any personal information from your post.

I consider it to be a personal attack.
    and you wonder why people don't like some of your comments
    --shinbone

>>but I wonder what kind and how many warnings were administered before the banning. <<

He wasn't banned due to the conversation . It was the thread he posted afterwards with diogratory comments made to Barry himself

Ian:

Think about what you're doing.

You've just made Sweet's point for him/her.

Do you remember the Lusby thread? We never got to discuss the thelytoky issue, did we?

Because I was attacked.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast