Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Forum Rules?

Default Re: Forum Rules?

Hahahaha . . . way to put it deknow.
    No one famous.

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    It's considered bad form to tell the kooks who they are... if you don't know, it might be because we decided not to tell you

Twiddledean, you of all people.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Why do people keep reading posts from people that offend them? If you don't open it, you won't be offended by it.
    It is not as simple as ignore the comments of those few. it is that those few so commonly disrupt otherwise interesting an informative conversations.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Isn't it wonderful that the 'rules' aren't held with absolute rigidity? Have you ever stood with a group talking about one thing and the conversation weaves across many related and eventually unrelated topics? This is the normal flow of conversation.
    Imagine a poster starts a thread....'do you like screened bottom boards?' The only two answers acceptable in the rigid environment would be yes or no. Wouldn't that be exciting?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Isn't it wonderful that the 'rules' aren't held with absolute rigidity? Have you ever stood with a group talking about one thing and the conversation weaves across many related and eventually unrelated topics? This is the normal flow of conversation.
    Imagine a poster starts a thread....'do you like screened bottom boards?' The only two answers acceptable in the rigid environment would be yes or no. Wouldn't that be exciting?
    Exactly!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

There is a distinction between he flow of conversation and the normal progression of it's topic and disruption. i specifically used the word disruption for a reason. In a face to face conversation it would be called interrupting. And is seldom considered acceptable. As for limited answers. who says answers are limited to yes or no? Such a question invites not only an answer but explanation for that answer. it invites description of person experience with one the other or both. You have to describe an unrealistic situation to support your comment. I can make up just about anything. but I am discussing the way things really happen. I have never sen a conversation limited to yes or no answers. I have in fact seen conversation after conversation get disrupted. To the point I believe, No I know, many conversation never get started do to no other reason than people will expect them to be disrupted. That in fact many conversation begin with comments of such concerns and that in fact I have seen posts made by some members expressing how they will not start threads for this reason. Many others will not comment on a subject because of the expected consequences. Now that is real effect from real behavior. So you can make up what you think should happen or you can look around and see what happens. I prefer the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I have rights as a BeeSource member. That includes posting anonymously.
    Problem with that is constantly referring to your research, your many degrees etc, to back your case. But it's all in the ether somewhere, or maybe, not.

I can't take any of those claims as credible.

Why have an opinion on the right to post anonymously and not be attacked etc, but not it seems, apply the same standards to ones own dealings with others. You have called any questioning as to who you are an "attack", yet have done the same thing to me. Attempting to incite an investigation as to who I am, while also indulging in a little name calling. Your Quotes- -

"From the 'wonder' on the other side of the world. Who nobody knows.

Someone needs to check on this chump.

Who is this Kiwi?

You can't read people like I can.

He disappeared as soon as I posted.

Barry needs to drop a satellite on this insulting character".

And all this when I'm not even anonymous anyone who wants can find out all about me from my profile and beyond.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    There is a distinction between he flow of conversation and the normal progression of it's topic and disruption.
    Do you feel like this thread has been disrupted....or is this a normally progressing conversation?
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Speaking of banning.....I have an idea for a new rule. Anytime I put someone on ignore everybody else should be banned from quoting them. Seems fair to me....I have rights.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Do you feel like this thread has been disrupted....or is this a normally progressing conversation?
    This one seems to be holding it's own fairly well. it wanders around a bit. but stays on the main subject. I see a few attempts to disrupt it but so far they have not struck pay dirt. Maybe a few that genuinely have some raw nerves associated with it which creates tension. but otherwise I think the conversation is progressing well I also think that is reflected in Barry's choice to let it progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    This one seems to be holding it's own fairly well.
    Fair enough. I wasn't sure if you were referring to this thread or not. While it has drifted a good distance from its original intent....it didn't seem disrupted to me but I wanted to see if we were on the same track.

Well, what's interesting is that with ignore activated, and posts grayed out, it appears to be a normal conversation.

However, someone else either reading the thread, or if someone responds to someone greyed out, it can become hard to follow.

...or more to the point. Do you feel Sweet was being constructive or disruptive? How about Jim Giles (assuming they are different people)?
    I will agree that there is a pretty large gray area here but I don't have much problem in my own mind discerning those who want to engage in constructive debate and those who are here to disrupt and argue regardless of the facts. There are a number of folks on Beesource who I regularly disagree with but have little trouble carrying on a civil conversation with. Then there are those hell bent on arguing eschewing all evidence to the contrary. It's a bit like, ummmm, shall we say, things of a "seedier nature"..... difficult to define but pretty obvious when faced with it.
    The moderators never ending and thankless challenge is finding that line and enforcing it for the betterment of the forum as a whole. I think they do an excellent job.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I would say that JG's and Sweets posts were more of a protest.

I only saw one of JG's threads, and he did provide some links to support some of what he was saying (pesticides are poisons- ).

Sweet was protesting the application of forum rules although both Ops did break them.

Personal attacks on and harassment of forum members don't result in a better discussion. It usually results in yet another locked thread.

Some folks need to change their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Barry, as for being irritated, stick around, there's plenty more where that came from.
    I can sit on my virtual hands all day long!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I can sit on my virtual hands all day long!
    I was thinking of 'Napoleon Dynamite' when I wrote that.

"Stick with me baby, there's plenty more where that came from."

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678