Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Rules?

Question Forum Rules?

Iím a long term member in this forum who has created this new account so as to preserve my anonymity out of fear of being criticized and possibly banned.

My concern is based on two threads that were locked and the person starting them, banned, here and here. This troubles me because itís clear that other senior users here objected to the posters views and hijacked the thread resorting to repeated personal attacks that were not the subject of the thread and the moderators did not moderate. Rather they shut down debate and locked the threads. I saw the poster's last thread and agree that he should have been banned but what about the topics? Are they off limits for the rest of us?

So what are the forum rules here? And do they apply to everyone equally?

Lastly, would you please consider reopening those 2 threads since the user is now banned?

Default Re: Forum Rules?

Why not just start a new thread?

Did you honestly feel the member who is now banned was in it for a civilized debate? Nobody , not even members typically against the use of pesticides stood with him

"This troubles me because it’s clear that other senior users here objected to the posters views and hijacked the thread resorting to repeated personal attacks that were not the subject of the thread and the moderators did not moderate."

Those individuals do the same thing, over and over again.

Yet, they keep getting away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Why not just start a new thread?
    If I am going to be personally attacked and possibly banned? No thanks. I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Did you honestly feel the member who is now banned was in it for a civilized debate? Nobody , not even members typically against the use of pesticides stood with him
    Forget about the poster. I'm talking about how he was bullied by senior members who hijacked both threads. There was no moderation just locked threads. It has a chilling effect.

What are the rules?

I read the post that got him canned . Did you?

I read the thread and post.

I understand WHY he was driven to write it.

I read the post that got him canned . Did you?
    I have already answered your question above. Twice.

What got him banned was a separate thread - soon deleted - that had absolutely nothing to do with beekeeping and was a flagrant personal insult aimed at a particular Beesource member. As soon as I saw post #1 it was obvious that his Beesource time was done.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I don't go on any other discussion pages, as some do here. I'm told that this forum conducts itself very civilized as compared to other sites.
    I feel the moderators are doing a thankless job and I think they are keeping the discussions properly moderated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    I have already answered your question above. Twice.
    Sweet, you don't like what I'm saying, perhaps "hijacking" this thread now, should my comments be moderated out?

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    What got him banned was a separate thread - soon deleted - that had absolutely nothing to do with beekeeping and was a flagrant personal insult aimed at a particular Beesource member. As soon as I saw post #1 it was obvious that his Beesource time was done.
    Jim may not be the most eloquent and knowledgeable member on the issue of pesticides, but he does have a right as a member to express his opinions without being assaulted by the usual suspects.

He was attacked.

>>As soon as I saw post #1 it was obvious that his Beesource time was done.<<

An absolutely rediculious insulting statement.

>>Jim may not be the most eloquent and knowledgeable member o<<

That's no excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    You are harping on an off topic issue here yourself which is NOT the topic of this thread. The poster and his banning are NOT the topic and still the off topic responses come, repeatedly. There is no moderation of this thread even at this early juncture. Your post above should be deleted. It's off topic. Political correctness for the lack of a better term is the issue here and whether or not forum members can voice opinions here that are objected to by other senior members who shut down debate by hijacking threads and causing their closure.

I guess the only points in these conversations that matter is yours. What a lively discussion we will have as you as moderator.

Sweet, you don't like what I'm saying, perhaps "hijacking" this thread now, should my comments be moderated out?
    Indeed it should. It's not a matter of liking. It's a matter of fairness and focus and rules. The topic is political correctness and the tactics employed here to shut down debate. And no moderation of off topic posts.

It's rather easy to divert and derail. That's why moderation is essential.

Some people interpret anything that is moderated or deleted on Beesource as being an intrusion on their freedom of speech. If you want absolute freedom of speech print out some flyers and stand on a street corner. If you want to participate on Beesource I suggest folks reread the terms that you agreed to when registering as a new member.
    This is Barry's site and no one does bee discussion better. Just as YOUR hives are dependent on YOUR beekeeping decisions the success or failure of this site is decided by what Barry ultimately chooses to allow or disallow. It's his site, it's his right.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

It is difficult to assess one's own ideas and opinions if one keeps them to oneself. It is even more difficult to share and spread good information/facts/opinions if they are never shared.

With sharing comes risk...no one can tell you what you have to gain or lose by sharing or not sharing.

Moderation is a thankless task...one spends time debating what posts/users to do something about...and then the problem poster get to the point where every post has to be reviewed, and no matter what, the person being moderated (even if it is me) feels mistreated no matter what happens, and no matter how over the top they are.

Moderation is work...it's much easier (I think) to give members enough rope to show their colors/intent and then ban them if they are not contributing or being cooperative in the discussion.

I don't pay close attention, but the folks I know that have been banned from BS generally deserved it (and were given enough rope to make it clear that they were not going to try to cooperate)....many of them have been banned and/or heavily moderated on other lists and forums as well...not because of what happened on BS, but because of a repeat performance in whatever forum they are banned from.

How can one even conceive of a 'discussion' if one's own contributions aren't subject to scrutiny? How can one expect to be treated 'fairly' by those that run and use a forum if one conducts themselves as JG did in his short time here?

It's up to you to decide what you (or the rest of us) can gain from your contribution, how much 'abuse' you are willing to take from those that disagree with you, and if you are going to conduct yourself in a way that will not get you banned...again, most of the bans that I'm aware of were very well deserved....if you think your contributions will make the owners/moderators think you should be banned, then you can decide if that is worth it to you.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    It's rather easy to divert and derail. That's why moderation is essential.
    Or, as the OP, provide meaningful input to the thread to keep the conversation going in the direction intended when creating the thread.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

>>Indeed it should. It's not a matter of liking. It's a matter of fairness and focus and rules. The topic is political correctness and the tactics employed here to shut down debate. And no moderation of off topic posts.<<

What a weak argument. Anyone who has a point to be made has opportunity to speak it. Anyone who reads that point can agree or disagree with it. But you don't like the conversation that surrounds it .
    I guess we should appoint a panel to submit our posts to, so that informed conversation can take place. Oh wait, there are places like that already. Perhaps that is your place Sweet

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast