Cool Any Radio operators out there?

I was wondering if any beekeeper/hams have any real word insight into HF frequencies upsetting the bees navigational abilities similar to the cell phone claims that were once a popular subject. Specifically I had two colonies abscond this winter, I have a neighbor who is a CB'r he transmits in the 27MHZ area, he has been known to transmit with a little more than 4 watts once in a while a lot more. My bees are on a hillside behind my house his Yagi is on the same elevation as the hives+/-. So close it probable does not make a difference but he does transmit pointed directly at the hives.... So anyhoo, just wondering???

Default Re: Any Radio operators out there?

I have four hives right next to a cell phone tower. They do just fine.

Wrap your hives in aluminum coated bubble wrap. That'll take care of your problems.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

CB's use the 11meter band 27 mhz--11meters is the length of one cycle of energy going out into
    the atmosphere -- A half wave dipole antenna (which is the powered section of his Yagi ant)
    is probably about 16 feet long+- to receive that energy effectivly you would need an antenna
    of aproxamately the same length....a bee is much much smaller than that..but proximaty counts,
    and there are harmonics- which are mutipules of that fz that are radiated if an operator isn't
    careful....sometimes when you hear someone talking over your tv or radio its because you are
    just close to the energy source, and some times its caused by the harmonic factor...
    The closest ham radio fz is the 10 meter band 28 mhz...and the antennas look very similar...
    The highest practicle ham Fz is 23centimeters which is about 9inches, and a half wave antenna of that is 4 1/2 inchs --which is a very big bee--lol..there are some other fz,s that amature
    radio operators can use but are more for experimental purposes....The 23 cm band is near
    cell phone frequencies,,,Altough radar Fz's are higher than that ...maybe someone can hack
    their fuz-buster to light up a bee or varroa mite would be better yet.....

==McBee/N0MKU==

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Wrap your hives in aluminum coated bubble wrap. That'll take care of your problems.
    10-4 good buddy. I'll head down to the truck stop right now....

de KQ6AR, My transmissions don't seem to bother the bees under my tower. 10% losses.
    Dan

de AI2V, No losses whatsoever with hives only 10 feet from a vertical antenna and 100 watts of transmitted power.

de N2OJY it seems to me that the bees would be more subject to surface heating that they would be "like an antenna" and receive based on their size. They would be effected differently in the near field and the far field as are humans who do tower work. I'm not an expert in this but have been to safety training and lectures at the National Association of Tower Erectors Conference. I think that if they (the bees) were in the near field of the antenna that they would experience surface heating but I don't think they would stay in the field long enough to make a difference .

I'm a ham and I own a Two-way Radio Shop

I would think the transmission duration is sporadic enough to be of minimal effect--if there even is an effect. The radio frequencies are all around us and if they were detrimental in any way, you'd think the bees would be suicidal by now...come to think of it...it might be an unexplored reason for CCD. We might be in to something...
    -Jared N0OG