Default Questions about using whey in my pollen substitute recipe

I came across these two types of dry powdered whey, which is more appropriate to use?
    Whey Protein Concentrate is a high quality,complete protein with all of the essential amino acids.
    and
    Whey (Sweet Dairy) is a by-product of cheese making. Whey imparts a slightly sweet flavor, and is an excellent source of complete protein.
    Should I suppose that casein and Sweet Dairy Whey are the same thing?

And what about this quote from an old post a couple of years ago?

"I think I'd have to take a pass on whey powder. Assuming the solids don't disrupt the digestion of your bees, what is the SOURCE of the whey? Soy proteins? Milk proteins? If soy, your bees may fair it a little better. If milk, it could poison your bees. Remember, lactose (milk sugar) is poisonous to bees!"

And in this link it states that lactose sugars are poisonous as well, are they or does a 3-1-1 substitute recipe reduce the level of lactose properly?

http://www.beesource.com/resources/u...to-honey-bees/

"Sugars which poison bees when fed at low levels in sucrose syrup include galactose, arabinose, xylose, melibiose, mannose, raffinose, stachyose, and lactose (Barker and Lehner, 1974b; Barker 1976a)."

I also see that non fat milk is in many pollen substitute recipes. So what is the deal with whey vs non fat dry milk? Should I still use three parts soy flour, one part yeast and one part whey?
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Default Re: Questions about using whey in my pollen substitute recipe

ultra or mega bee are good

Quote Originally Posted by ccar2000 View Post
    Should I still use three parts soy flour, one part yeast and one part whey?
    Read scientificbeekeeping.com, the pollen supplement page has been updated recently.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/poll...ement-formula/

After reading that you will know all you need to know to make a pollen supplement.
    Stephen 26 hives. 4th year. Treat. Germany.

Take out the sugar and the top formula is 37 lbs for $66. A little cheaper than commercial 40 lb bags of dry. What out that you are not paying for sugar as sub. But how good is the yeast and how finely ground are the ingredients?

If you have good suppliers and use a lot it may be worth trial and error. Maybe I just do not like to cook.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

I should have started with stating that I open feed dry pollen substitute as opposed to patties.

I am a hobbyist so all in all feeding four hives (and the locals) is relativly inexpensive and I believe necessary for keeping hives healthy in the SoCal high Desert. I am sure I will need plenty as we are in a severe drought situation.

Burns, I tried both Brood builder and Bee-pro as dry feeds. The girls readily accepted both products but there was a lot of unused "stuff" left behind so I am trying to make my own with less waste as Saltybee has suggested. They like the Soy flour on it's own for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    But how good is the yeast and how finely ground are the ingredients? If you have good suppliers and use a lot it may be worth trial and error.
    The products I am looking at are from Bobs Red Mill in Oregon. The Soy flour is stone ground, Nonfat Dry Milk is powder and the yeast is large flake. So I need to grind the yeast down a bit before mixing. The yeast ingredients list contains inactive nutritional yeast (dried yeast, niacin,pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamine hydrochloride, folic acid and vitamin B12) My most critical question is regarding the use of whey vs. Nonfat Milk. Which one and at what ratio?
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”