Hybrid View

Default Little Worried - Need some opinions.

Hi,
    It has been very warm for over a month in Central California. Today (I am only home in daylight on weekends), I saw 3 of 4 of my hives bringing in pollen and a lot of flying. On the fourth, little to no activity.
    It is 65 degrees, sunny, no wind, so I thought I would open up and see what is going on. Found the queen and about 1000 bees, but not a lot of action. I opened the hive next door to compare and it is rocking and rolling.
    The weak hive is looking pretty sparse. I saw no Larvae or eggs and the capped brood looks old, broken etc. I am posting pictures below. The queens are not related. The failing(?) hive is from a queen I got from rweaver, and has up to now been my strongest hive.
    Any ideas on what is going on? Pictures are below.

Weak hive:
    Hive 1 - 1.jpg
    Hive 1-3.jpg
    Hive 1-4.jpg

Hive Next Door:
    Hive 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tristan36; 01-18-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: adding pictures

Default Re: Little Worried - Need some opinions.

If you look at picture 3, there are little flakes of white in the cells that look like dandruff. That is mite poop. This hive more than likely succombed to Varroa.

Not sure what you can do to save it.

Mite poop? I thought I had it covered. I have an Oxalic Acid vaporizer, and in October, I vaporized them three times - a week apart, hoping to have them set for winter.

looks like queen failure, can you give the weak hive some eggs, larvae, and nurse bees from a strong one? perhaps a frame a week for three weeks?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

The queen is right there in the upper left of picture three.
    I don't think there are enough resources yet in my other hives to donate eggs and brood. Also, I didn't see drones yet.

yeah, i saw her there. by failure i mean she's no longer laying well. no eggs and a spotty pattern suggest this. can you tell if it's the same queen? could the original queen have been superceded? could that be a unmated virgin? it may be that the population is so dwindled it will be hard for it to get momentum even with a new queen.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Yep - I also did three treatments of oav in october, but when I checked the mite drop after the last treatment, the count was too high on some hives.
    So I did a fourth oav in mid november. Hope it worked.
    Charlie
    14 hives - 5 years (also had 7 hives in early 1970's) T as needed - zone 6