Default Please Help me identify this piece of equipment...

Hello All,
    I'm new to the bee source forum but I've been keeping bees for about 4 years. My 80 year old beekeeping mentor just passed away and left me some of his beekeeping equipment. There is one piece that I haven't been able to determine what it is or how to use it. It is a stainless steel pail with a long tube going up to a funnel on one side. It has a lip running around the the top of the pail which spills out a spout on the other side. The top also has a piece of filter material clamped to it. Here are links to 2 photos of it.

http://blevinsweb.smugmug.com/Nature...O/beepail1.jpg

http://blevinsweb.smugmug.com/Nature...O/beepail2.jpg

One theory so far is that the pail catches wax/honey from a Walter Kelley Wax Melter - the melted wax flowing into the top of the funnel. As the melted honey/wax fills the pail the wax would flow through the filter on top and over the lip of the pail to exit out the secondary spout. The honey would stay on the bottom of the pail. Maybe.... Maybe Not...

Please help if you know what this thing really is!

Cheers!
    --John

Default Re: Please Help me identify this piece of equipment...

looks like part of a wax melter as you describe. The way they work is by melting the honey and wax and dripping it into a bucket. The honey settles to the bottom of the bucket while the wax flows out the side spout into a container.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Chamber pot

DS, you may be right.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your mentor. I know how you must feel, I still think of my mentor from time to time even though its been about 35 years since his passing. He was around 80 years old also and full of wisdom about bees and life in general.

I used to have, and use one of these, they are no longer made in the UK.

It is a wax melter that works on water pressure to push the molten wax through the cloth filter clamped around the top lip, then out onto the rim , and then out through the spout into a mold, when the wax and a small amount of water in the bottom of the melter has reached melting point water is poured in the funnel, thus forcing the molten wax out through the filter on top, until all the wax is filtered and water just starts to run out through the top, filter is then removed and all the filtered rubbish emptied out of main drum. The taller the tube and funnel part, the greater the water pressure to push the wax through the filter.
    Last edited by beekuk; 01-21-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Hi Jmgi,
    Thanks for the concern and compassion. It is truly a significant loss when someone with such extraordinary bee wisdom and the generosity to share it passes away. I have thousands of unanswered questions that I would ask him if he were still here. However, I am very thankful for all I've learned from him. Now, I will look to other sources such as our local club and beesource.com for wisdom.

Regards,
    --John

Hi Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by beekuk View Post
    I used to have, and use one of these, they are no longer made in the UK.

It is a wax melter that works on water pressure to push the molten wax through the cloth filter clamped around the top lip, then out onto the rim , and then out through the spout into a mold, when the wax and a small amount of water in the bottom of the melter has reached melting point water is poured in the funnel, thus forcing the molten wax out through the filter on top, until all the wax is filtered and water just starts to run out through the top, filter is then removed and all the filtered rubbish emptied out of main drum. The taller the tube and funnel part, the greater the water pressure to push the wax through the filter.
    Wow! I don't think I would have ever figured this out without your help. Thanks! A couple more questions if I may... Does it matter what temperature water you pour down the funnel spout after the wax is melted and ready to be pushed up? I suppose you place a hot plate under the unit to do the melting? Finally, why do you think they quit making these? Or why did you quit using the one you had?

Many thanks for the help!
    --John

Hi John
    here are a couple of you tube videos, this is not me, but a guy i know (member) who made the videos for our UK forum, not the best of quality but you will get the gist of it easier from the pictures, in two parts.

I don't know why they quit making them, the one i had was made by an old bee supply company over here called Taylors, and the one i had was made from tinplate not stainless, it was not new when i acquired it, and was not really big enough to process the quantity of wax i needed to do, so it was just left outside and slowly rusted, a shame really with hindsight. The one in the video, the guy had specially made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lOIXqJ-Xg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDBiGgWpnI0
    Last edited by beekuk; 01-21-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Wow- cool videos. Simple design no muss no fuss.

Kina looks like something from outer space. It is very interesting.
    No one famous.