Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Two man hive lifter

odfrank... Mine has that black stiff hose that goes in the hand hold. It came from Kelly Bee Co, I think, 1998. I don't move more than double deeps very often. But, occasionally someone calls and wants a double deep with 3 honey supers moved, in that case, those movers are nice.

cchoganjr

I will try to remember to take a pick tomorrow. Didn't see that detail on the internet.

I will go out to the shop and see if I can snap a photo of mine also.

EDIT..... I went out and took a photo, but, I have recently changed computers, and I cannot get this one to downsize a photo enough so that beesource will allow it. I will see if someone will show me how to do it with this computer. No problem on the old one, but, I can't do it on this one.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 01-20-2014 at 07:52 PM.

O.K. Let me see if I can post this photo. Yes, I believe it is going to work. Now you can see the part odfrank talked about.

Hive Carrier - Copy.jpg

cchoganjr

[QUOTE=Cleo C. Hogan Jr;1047628]O.K. Let me see if I can post this photo. Yes, I believe it is going to work. Now you can see the part odfrank talked about.

You beat me to it. My shop is a 20 minutes drive. And my piece of hose is black, circa 1975.
    Good to see your shop is as big a mess as mine. Actually a lot less of a mess.

Thanks Cleo and Frank for your help. I will definately incorporate a rubber gripper into the unit.

Can you still buy the hive carriers with the rubber grippers?

[QUOTE=odfrank;1047661 Good to see your shop is as big a mess as mine.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the bad part is, you are only seeing about 1/10 th of it in that photo. HA!!!

cchoganjr

Ok... here is the completed hive lifter.
    I didn't like the single ribber gripper on each crossarm idea. From a engineering standpoint (and common sense) it is an accident waiting to happen.
    With this set up you have 4 points of contact on the hive body at all times. The contact will be at the corners where it is the strongest.

0121141355.jpg

Mr Beeman Not to belabor the point, but, that rubber gripper is set at an angle and goes into the hive hand hold .

If you don't have a hand hole then the rubber grip is centered and the weight of the hive is what holds it, much the same as yours.

cchoganjr

True Cleo... but the hive is held ONLY on two points with your lifter if you have no handholds. This will allow the hive to pivot on these two points correct? If you don't have your hive centered oh lordly......

Now... do you really feel comfy knowing that your hive is held by two points? Or... do you feel more comfy knowing that it is held by four?
    This will work with handholds or no handholds. It's just a better mousetrap IMO.
    I do appreciate your (and others) input, I really do.

Mr Beeman... You are correct. If you have no hand holds, ( or cleats), my carrier will not work well at all. Yes, it would be off center, and yes it would likely slip and then the hive would drop.

I feel the most comfortable knowing the cleat is in the hand hold and pressure from the weight of the hive is keeping it in the hand hold and making a slip impossible.

Always good to have a better mouse trap. May the mice beat a path to your door.

Thanks, Mr. Beeman.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Mr Beeman... You are correct. If you have no hand holds, ( or cleats), my carrier will not work well at all. Yes, it would be off center, and yes it would likely slip and then the hive would drop.

I feel the most comfortable knowing the cleat is in the hand hold and pressure from the weight of the hive is keeping it in the hand hold and making a slip impossible.

Always good to have a better mouse trap. May the mice beat a path to your door.

Thanks, Mr. Beeman.

cchoganjr
    I agree with you. I made a unit as well. I used what I had laying around to some degree. I had electrical conduit that I bent in the same manner as the others except I used some roller chain as a hinge. The two cross bars that pinch the hive are a heavy wall, almost solid, aluminum. I attached two brackets to these that fit into the hand holds if the boxes have them and if they dont they are sharp enough to grab the wood. All my deeps have hand holds so I've not had a situation where the brackets were not "inside" the hand holds.
    Two rubber pieces on each cross bar DOES NOT equal a single protrusion into the hand hold. The two rubber "solution" is indeed providing more friction but the single protrusion isn't relying on friction. It is getting inside the outer dimension of the boxes so the only way it would fail is if the wood failed. Personally I wouldn't trust friction. Just a small amount of weight being relieved could make it slip and there is enough weight on a couple of full deeps that a small slip could cause big imbalance and panic.
    I continue to find it amazing how beekeepers, especially newer ones, seem to be able to find new ways to make things that are tried and true "better". I think it is the enthusiasm of being new to a hobby but I also think that beekeeping attracts a certain personality type. I am all for trying new things and I am all for inventing, prototyping, failing and doing it again so I am not making a critical statement here but there are also times when one must admit when one misses a point or is just plain wrong. IMO many new beeks, with their new found enthusiasm leave the ability to say, "I'm wrong" behind. I am currently in the long process os making a hand truck with a lifting mechanism that I can wheel up to a stack of boxes, slide the stack (properly strapped together) on to the platform, raise up, move back, lower and wheel away. Repeat when destination is reached. I know there are manufacturers that sell these lift units but they are high dollar and are not ready for uneven, bumpy or soft ground. Mine will be much better on bee yard type surfaces. I am only mentioning this because I've built and rebuilt it a few times already because my original sure fire designs were garbage> I was wrong and I'm working on becoming right.
    I made a frame filling machine as well. It took me quite a long time to get it working as well as I wanted it to. I posted about it here and ended up with many good comments. I think I also got just as many or more negative comments. Didn't make sense to me as I plainly stated I was doing something for me. not to try to convince anyone else to build one. For me it is the cats ***** but that doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Walking away shaking my head.

I just run a rachet strap over the top and bottom ratchet it up tight. Then slide a two wheeler under it and away i go. I have one of the two man carriers but i never use it. I am not for carring stuff around since the invention of the wheel. Rolls much easier. I do have a plywood ramp to roll it up on the trailer.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Do you use a regular hand truck? What I'm making is based on an aluminum hand truck that I've modified. I have a cleet at the bottom of a lifting mechanism. I can adjust the height and grab the hive at any height, back up & lower for transportation to another stand or a trailer then repeat. Can't carry double deeps anymore. I should have it done in a few days or weeks:-D

Thumbs Up Re: Two man hive lifter

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Do you use a regular hand truck? What I'm making is based on an aluminum hand truck that I've modified. I have a cleet at the bottom of a lifting mechanism. I can adjust the height and grab the hive at any height, back up & lower for transportation to another stand or a trailer then repeat. Can't carry double deeps anymore. I should have it done in a few days or weeks:-D
    Yes it's a hand truck that came from Harbor Frieght the one with inflateable tires.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Has anyone on the forum tried this? If so what is it like to work with..and where are they sold?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

They are not sold. That one was made by a BS member Steve10.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers