Default Winter Mite Level Monitoring

Anyone with inspections boards monitor mite levels. Im seeing 20 - 0 per week the last few weeks depending on hive size.

Default Re: Winter Mite Level Monitoring

deleted: duplicate post

I am still monitoring, because I always am, but I can't find data to allow interpretation of mite drop levels.

Colony size is variable (and much lower) at this time of year, of course. I am in northern NY, and broodless (presumably, because I'm not in the hives to check at my temps!) My bees aren't really flying now, so I'm not losing mites out of doors (nor gaining any, either).

I have been cruising around the 'net and can't find info to allow me to interpret my numbers.

I did find one study that asserted that in the winter mites naturally die at one-third the rate than they do during the summer. So, if I am interpreting that point corrrectly, then comparative drop rates for a given level of infestation would be one third of those in the summer.

You're in a warmer place than me, and probably farther along in the return-to-brood-cycle, but I think your rates would be comforting to have. Twenty mites per seven days is less that three per day. Mine are somewhat higher (averaging 5, 3 and less than 1 per day, respectively - with the never-treated hive being the low-ender, go figure). If it's true that winter mite levels should be multiplied by three (and I don't know if that is true, so don't quote me) then my 5-mite/day hive has an issue.

What have you used for treatments, if any? I used a full cycle of Apiguard in Sept. on the 5-mite hive and a half a cycle of the same on the 3-mite one (cold weather interrupted the late-Sept. treatment). I didn't really see soaring numbersbeforehand last fall and I never got a big drop during treatment, which was a little underwhelming. I have acquired the tools to do an OAV treatment, but now my temps have dropped too low again. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to one done before the start of new brood.

Maybe someone else knows how to interpret mite drop numbers in winter-reduced colony, broodless, flightless, cold conditions. I'm glad you posted the question!

FWIW, here is a calculator (UK-based)https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/bee...Calculator.cfm

Enj.

I'm also interested in this.
    As I've read, winter drops are hardly reliable as bees are not moving very much. Jar sugar roll is also unavailable... so what to do considering the fact that bees have already started brood due to an unusual warm/dry winter so far?
    After an OAV on a flight day this winter, I had only 10 to 15 mites fall in one week... probably not that many mites yet. Maybe I should have done a roll on that day but the bees are not that friendly in the winter
    Dfa (Humid continental warm summer climate)