Default Southeast Texas Pollen in January

Any other SETX or gulf coast beeks on here know what might be blooming right now? I'm seeing lots of light yellow-gray pollen coming in. Not sure how much associated nectar there is, as I've been feeding, but it's definitely no honey flow. My potted citrus trees are blooming now, but the volume of pollen coming in is far more than just mine. Unless there is a huge citrus grove tucked in the suburbs nearby that I don't know of. I have 14 colonies in my yard right now and all are bringing in a steady run of this pollen.

I think we are still too early for pine and it's not as green as the pine I'm used to either. I'm thinking it must be some sort of native tree species but I just don't know what. Any ideas?
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Default Re: Southeast Texas Pollen in January

Try here:

NASA Map check both Texas and Louisiana in region 12.
    http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/Honeybees/Forage.htm

I think the Box elder (maple, Acer) and the willow (Salix) would be most likely. Nothing is blooming here in Brazoria south of you except a few buttercups. It may be warmer where you are. Two days ago I put out a mix of brewer's yeast and soy flour and sugar in a ceramic birdhouse, and the bees got very excited about that. It looks grey when it is on the bee-baskets.

Thanks for sharing! I had never seen that website, but that's pretty cool. I do have a large maple tree in my back yard, but had not noticed it blooming yet. Maybe it's because it hasn't dropped the blooms all over my deck yet! I'll have to look tomorrow and see if it is.

I'm not familiar with alder trees. Images look kind of like a birch but I wouldn't know one if it dropped limb on my head! I'll have to keep up with that site, again, very neat! I'm glad someone took the time to do the research!
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Red maple and mayhaws are blooming or just starting over here near Beaumont. How about Eucalyptus, there is quite a bit of it planted around the Winnie area. Not sure about near Houston 50 miles west. There is a small yellow flower blooming all over. Not sure what it is.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 3 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

mistletoe

some ground covers can provie tons of pollen even if they are tiny. One of the hard things about studying bees is the massive amount of places they can go and plants they can choose from.

The pollen we get this time of year (just west of College Station) is from water elm. If there are any creek bottoms near, I'm betting that's it.

I'll be darned! Maple it is. Not sure what variety, but I'm thinking it's red maple. It certainly drops red flowers all over the place. I looked up in the tree a minute ago and not only spotted all the blooms, but also spotted plenty of bees flying about! The pollen is still coming in strong on the hives too!

Plenty of yellow pollen east of you.
    009.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Lockhart View Post
    The pollen we get this time of year (just west of College Station) is from water elm. If there are any creek bottoms near, I'm betting that's it.
    Elm pollen here this time of year too. But ours is Cedar Elm.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I have some west of Nacogdoches and south of Fairfield both had tons of pollen coming in.

We also have some really crazy goldenrod blooming here. It is short stuff that was mowed last fall, but seeing some of it around. That is very strange for goldenrod.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 3 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Interesting. The red maple on my property isn't blooming yet. East of you and 35 miles north of Lake Charles, Louisiana.

Moved a hive over to my friend's house just under the red maples. There were bees buzzing around the red maples and mayhaws. The bees in my 4 hives are stacking pollen in, not sure what it is.